I am looking for origins of two dances--please help. Lady Barbara, al-Barran, Outlands

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2003
      > I am looking for the origins of two dances--

      1) Dargason
      2) Circle Waltz

      I also would like to find sheet music for "Well Hall".

      Yours in service to the dream,

      Lady Barbara
      al-Barran, Outlands
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 20, 2003

        Just back from KWAR/KWCS, and doing a little catching up ...

        Barbara Krege wrote:

        > > I am looking for the origins of two dances--
        >
        > 1) Dargason

        1st edition Playford, 1651. This is an unusual dance, and, as Playford's
        descriptions are more like shorthand notes, the are several SCA reconstructions
        that seem to fit the original description, but are very different in
        appearance. In Caerthe we use a reconstruction from the barony of Carolingia
        (East Kingdom) from about 22-23 years ago (I was there - and Mike Bergman may
        have been, too).

        > 2) Circle Waltz

        This seems to be a 20th century choreography, but may go back into the late
        1800's. I do not know this dance, so I can't tell which Circle Waltz it is.

        > I also would like to find sheet music for "Well Hall".

        Sixth edition Playford, 1679. A facsimile of the original music is on the web
        page "The Dancing Master, 1651-1728: An Illustrated Compendium" at
        http://www.izaak.unh.edu/nhltmd/indexes/dancingmaster/ - this resource has a
        shorthand comparison of every dance as it appeared in each edition of the
        Dancing Master, so it is an excellent resource for identifying when a given
        dance first appeared in Playford, and whether a given dance changed over time.
        Some dances, for instance, appear in almost every edition - but after the eigth
        or tenth edition, the dance and music are completely different and only the name
        is the same. At least a couple of dances have corrections in the second or
        third edition.

        I do not have a modern arrangement of music for this dance. Perhaps somebody
        else on this list?