al-Barran Court Dancing & Musicians Collegium & Ball, Nov. 1 (New Info)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2003

      Please spread the word to your friends about our November 1, 2003 al-Barran Court Dancing & Musicians Collegium & Ball.

      Our Musicians have been working very hard and practicing often, to provide music for over half the dances on Nov. 1 at our Ball, 6:30-9:30pm.
      How many of these court dances do you know:  al-Barran Pavan (slow, stately, flirting dance);  Hole-in-the-Wall (our stealing dance); Gathering Peascods (aka Male Bonding); Ballo del Fiore (j's, z's, diagonals); Well Hall (waltz tune, longways set, similar to Hole-in-the-Wall, cloverleaf turn); Trenchmore (a fun, follow the leader, going over & under other couples' arms); Circle Waltz (a waltz tune, ladies twirl under the gentlemen's arms); Angus Reel (a partner dance in a circle with a back-to-back movement); Maltese Bransle (no partner needed, step into the circle, tempo increases);  Official Bransle (aka "toss the wench" or "toss the duchess"); Horses Bransle; Pinwheel (a "called dance", done with a partner in a circle, with one partner touching the hands of other dancers, like spokes on a wheel); Petit Riens (a 3 person, chasing & flirting dance, done a couple of years ago at mid-Winter); Amoroso (a fun, chasing & flirting dance, taught recently at dance practice); Quen Quer Que (a large circle dance, no partners needed, newly taught at dance practice.)

      If you want to learn or practice these dances before the ball, there will be a court dance practice Sunday, October 26, at Battan Park in Albuquerque, 12:30-2:30pm.  There will also be 14 hours of dance classes in two dance tracks (beginning  & intermediate) from 10am to 5pm at our Nov. 1st. event.
      Court Dance practices for November will be Nov. 2 & Nov. 14 at Battan Park, 12:30-2:30pm.  Battan Park is at the NW corner of Lomas & Carlisle, on Lomas next to Walgreens.

      We look forward to dancing with you!!

      Yours in service to the dream,

      Lady Barbara (al-Barran)

      al-Barran Court Dancing and Musicians Collegium and Ball
      Barony of al-Barran
      St. Mary’s Episcopal Church, 1500 Chelwood Park Blvd. NE, Albuquerque, NM
      November 1, A.S. XXXVIII (2003), Site opens 10:00 am; closes 10:00 pm
      Court Dance Classes, Dance Music Classes, Potluck Feast, Children’s Room, Court Dance Ball
      Themes:  “Come as You are Not” and “Donate a Toy for Toys-for-Tots”

      Come one and all to al-Barran’s Court Dancing and Musicians Collegium and Ball.  Come refresh your memory on court dances you know and learn new ones, including court dances that are being danced inner-kingdom,  so that as you travel around the Outlands, you will know the dances at our various balls.  There will be a full day of court dance classes from 10 am to 5 pm with a break for lunch on your own.  Lemonade and tea will be provided throughout the day.  We will have two informal dance tracks--one for the  beginner dancers and a concurrent one for the intermediate dancers.  I am delighted to announce that Mistress Arwen & THL Guillaume of Caerthe will be teaching at our Dancing Collegium.  From 3 to 5 pm we will also be teaching “inner-kingdom” court dances, which are court dances that are currently being taught in the various Outlands’ baronies and shires and danced at their events, for those who play on the kingdom level and wish to dance at out-of-town events in the Outlands.  For those of you wishing to teach court dancing in your shires and baronies, Lady Barbara has created a booklet of dance instruction and a set of court dance music tapes for these dances, to give to you.
      Musicians from our al-Barran Musicians group will be meeting with other musicians from 1 to 5 pm to share music, information, etc.  They have a great collection of court dance sheet music collected by Lady Lin Shiao Mei (shiao_mei@..., 505-934-3952),  which you can download from her website at  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shiao_mei/crtdance.pdf    and are encouraged to print and bring with you to this event.   This collection of dance music is based on the dances in Lady Barbara’s dance instruction booklet.

      We will be having a potluck feast prior to the Ball from 5:15 to 6:15 pm with our Barony donating  a meat dish, bread, butter, tea and lemonade.  There will be lots of dancing of old and new court dances at our Court Dance Ball from 6:30 to approximately 9:30 pm.  We are excited to have our al-Barran Court Dance Musicians playing for part of the ball.  Our theme for the ball is “Come as You are Not” which  means you  dress in period garb, but in a way that you don’t usually dress for your persona.  Masks are welcome, but not necessary.  We also encourage you to bring a new, unwrapped toy (value of $5.00 or more) to donate to our barony’s donation to Toys-for-Tots.  Anyone bringing a toy can deduct $2.00 from their gate fee.  For our non-dancers, there will be gaming tables for those who wish to play period board games throughout the day.  There will also be a supervised children’s room from 10 am to 10 pm with activities for the children.  We ask that parents donate 2 hours of their time during the day in the room for each of their children who participate and bring a few of their children’s favorite toys.   Gate fees are $4 for members and $7 for non-members.   The fee for children and teens, ages 6 to 17, is $3 each, and children age 5 and under are free.  There is a family cap of $20.  Please make your checks payable to “SCA al-Barran.”  Please note, this is a dry site, so no alcohol is allowed at the site.

      Reservations are not required.  Please contact Anuradha  at sillygirl07@... or 505-681-1276 if you need crash space.   No pets please.  For further information, see the Collegium link on the al-Barran web site,  http:\\www.al-barran.org .     For emergencies, a cell phone will be at the site to receive messages, 505-379-1181.  Directions:  From the West on I-40 take the 7th exit (Tramway) after passing through the I-25 interchange and turn left onto Tramway (from the East on I-40, take the 1st Albuquerque exit and turn right onto Tramway).  On Tramway, go north about 1.3 miles to the light at Lomas and turn left onto Lomas.   Go .5 miles to the light at Chelwood Park Blvd. and turn right.  Take Chelwood Park Blvd. about .6 mile to the church, which will be on your right at 1500 Chelwood Park Blvd.   Autocrat:  Lady Barbara (Barbara Krege), 12612 Morrow Avenue NE, Albuquerque, NM 87112, 505-293-7453, krege@...  and Deputy Autocrats:  Lady  Melody Shaw and Lord Y  Port Lairge (Susan and Chris Hurlbert),  505-265-0161, Lockgen1@...