learning more

  • Julee' Merrill Csuri
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 2003
          Now that I've absorbed a bit of Keith's knowledge and suggestions...  (Thanks, Keith)

          I'm thinking that my middle aged Lady of the Middle Ages at a courtly feast, could do a casual, (perhaps serene or elegant) couple dance with her 11 year old daughter or her "eligible" niece as a way to train the young one to the experience or expose the eligible one to the court and the court to her availability. We will not have an appropriate male for a partner.
          Our male is a jester & musician, both older and shorter than the ladies. But he is one heck of an accompanist & friend!
          Sometime in November will be the feast.
          What think Ye?

      Thanks for any and all ideas, both accurate in historic details and those out of the box.

      with deep reverence and sincerity
          and a great love of joy & fun
              YMHS    Julee'
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 23, 2003

        > Julee' Merrill Csuri wrote:

        > I'm thinking that my middle aged Lady of the Middle Ages at a courtly
        > feast, could do a casual, (perhaps serene or elegant) couple dance with her 11
        > year old daughter or her "eligible" niece as a way to train the young one to
        > the experience or expose the eligible one to the court and the court to her
        > availability.

        This is a wonderful alternative. While I know of no reference to
        mother-daughter type partnering, there are plenty of references to two women
        dancing together. There is, for instance, a passage in Castiglione's "Book of
        the Courtier" where two of the ladies dance together (at the command of the
        Duchess, I think) even though there are men present. Castiglione is discussing
        the nature of a Perfect Courtier in the context of what he considers the most
        nearly perfect court of the time, so this is clearly considered normal and
        proper behavior.

        Of course you don't train the young ones at events - one hires a dance master
        for private lessons.

        Keith / Guillaume (dancemaster) S:}>