al-Barran Court Dancing and Musicians Collegium and Ball, Nov. 1, 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2003
      Please spread the word to your friends about our November 1, 2003,
      al-Barran Court Dancing and Musicians Collegium and Ball.

      Yours in service to the dream,

      Lady Barbara (al-Barran)
      505-293-7453, krege@...

      al-Barran Court Dancing and Musicians Collegium and Ball
      Barony of al-Barran
      St. Mary’s Episcopal Church, 1500 Chelwood Park Blvd. NE, Albuquerque,
      NM
      November 1, A.S. XXXVIII (2003), Site opens 10:00 am; closes 10:00 pm
      Court Dance Classes, Dance Music Classes, Potluck Feast, Children’s
      Room, Court Dance Ball
      Themes: “Come as You are Not” and “Donate a Toy for Toys-for-Tots”

      Come one and all to al-Barran’s Court Dancing and Musicians Collegium
      and Ball. Come refresh your memory on court dances you know and learn
      new ones, including court dances that are being danced inner-kingdom,
      so that as you travel around the Outlands, you will know the dances at
      our various balls. There will be a full day of court dance classes from
      10 am to 5 pm with a break for lunch on your own. Lemonade and tea will
      be provided throughout the day. We will have two informal dance
      tracks--one for the beginner dancers and a concurrent one for the
      intermediate dancers. From 3 to 5 pm we will also be teaching
      “inner-kingdom” court dances, which are court dances that are being
      currently taught in the various Outlands’ baronies and shires and danced
      at their events, for those who play on the kingdom level and wish to
      dance at out-of-town events in the Outlands. For those of you wishing
      to teach court dancing in your shires and baronies, Lady Barbara has
      created a booklet of dance instruction and a set of court dance music
      tapes for these dances, to give to you.

      Musicians from our al-Barran Musicians group will be meeting with other
      musicians from 1 to 5 pm to share music, information, etc. They have a
      great collection of court dance sheet music collected by Lady Lin Shiao
      Mei (shiao_mei@..., 505-934-3952), which you can download from
      her website at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shiao_mei/crtdance.pdf
      and are encouraged to print and bring with you to this event. This
      collection of dance music is based on the dances in Lady Barbara’s dance
      instruction booklet.

      We will be having a potluck feast prior to the Ball from 5:15 to 6:15 pm
      with our Barony donating a meat dish, bread, butter, tea and lemonade.
      There will be lots of dancing of old and new court dances at our Court
      Dance Ball from 6:30 to approximately 9:30 pm. We are excited to have
      our al-Barran Court Dance Musicians playing for part of the ball. Our
      theme for the ball is “Come as You are Not” which means you dress in
      period garb, but in a way that you don’t usually dress for your
      persona. Masks are welcome, but not necessary. We also encourage you
      to bring a new, unwrapped toy (value of $5.00 or more) to donate to our
      barony’s donation to Toys-for-Tots. Anyone bringing a toy can deduct
      $2.00 from their gate fee. For our non-dancers, there will be gaming
      tables for those who wish to play period board games throughout the
      day. There will also be a supervised children’s room from 10 am to 10
      pm with activities for the children. We ask that parents donate 2 hours
      of their time during the day in the room for each of their children who
      participate and bring a few of their children’s favorite toys. Gate
      fees are $4 for members and $7 for non-members. The fee for children
      and teens, ages 6 to 17, is $3 each, and children age 5 and under are
      free. There is a family cap of $20. Please make your checks payable to
      “SCA al-Barran.” Please note, this is a dry site, so no alcohol is
      allowed at the site.

      Reservations are not required. No pets please. Contact Lady Barbara
      at 505-293-7453, krege@... if you need crash space. For further
      information, see the Collegium link at the al-Barran web site at
      http:\\www.al-barran.org Directions: From the West on I-40 take
      the 7th exit (Tramway) after passing through the I-25 interchange and
      turn left onto Tramway (from the East on I-40, take the 1st Albuquerque
      exit and turn right onto Tramway). On Tramway, go north about 1.3 miles
      to the light at Lomas and turn left onto Lomas. Go .5 miles to the
      light at Chelwood Park Blvd. and turn right. Take Chelwood Park Blvd.
      about .6 mile to the church, which will be on your right at 1500
      Chelwood Park Blvd. Autocrat: Lady Barbara (Barbara Krege), 12612
      Morrow Avenue NE, Albuquerque, NM 87112, 505-293-7453, krege@...
      and Deputy Autocrats: Lady Melody Shaw and Lord Y Port Lairge (Susan
      and Chris Hurlbert), 505-265-0161, Lockgen1@...