Re: [OutlandsDance]General call for musicians!

    Message 1 of 7 , May 30 6:04 PM

      This looks like a fun and worthy project. I wish I could be there for the
      meeting.

      Hopefully, M. Crispin and/or M. Caelainn are involved - they already have a
      lot of period dance music (some of it annotated). They should have seen this
      thread on the music list (I don't think either is on the dance list).

      Evelyn Alden wrote:
      > For the vast majority of SCA dance music, there is no
      > "correct" version, only the version the musicians may
      > be used to.

      That's for sure, although the dancers need to know it, too :)

      Note that while many versions may be equally valid interpretations, others are
      less good because they change the original or add modern elements unnecessarily.

      > There are a few pieces, such as Belle
      > Qui, that we have period multi-part arrangements for
      > but most dances only have a melody line.

      Indeed. And bassa dances are even worse: few of the litterally hundreds of
      bassa dances have more than a tenor line. In period, musicians were expected to
      improvise the "tune". (I understand that improvosation was expected a lot of
      the time.)

      > I know at least one musician who plays at Pennsic, who
      > has insisted that we shouldn't have to write the
      > accidentals in, we should "know" where they are. We
      > all nod and write them in anyway :-)

      Not everyone has Tibicen's knowledge, skill, and dedication. I think it is good
      to recognize the ideal, and work toward it as best you can. Meanwhile, keep a
      pencil handy.

      Keith / Guillaume S:}>
    • Morris Schaefer
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
        Hello,

        I'm having no luck opening the page linked in the letter below, is anyone
        else having trouble or is there a different approach I can use to get your
        music list?
        Sean

        >)
        >
        >--- Lady Lin Shiao Mei <shiao_mei@...> wrote:
        > > I have compiled a sheet music book which can be
        > > downloaded as a .pdf file
        > > at:
        > > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shiao_mei/crtdance.pdf
        > > - please print
        > > this and bring it with you to this meeting.
        >
        >Let me know how the Quen Quer Que sounds. A group in
        >Three Rivers (St Louis, MO) tried it and said is
        >sounded more oriental than they thought a cantiga
        >should.
        >
        >On the plus side, they liked the combination of a
        >simplified melody with Lady Phaedria's bottom lines on
        >Korobushka (wait, the out of period tune I got right,
        >the in period...maybe it's not on the plus side after
        >all :-) )
        >
        >katriana

        >Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync to Outlook(TM).
        >http://calendar.yahoo.com

      • Eric Schwartz
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
          > I'm having no luck opening the page linked in the letter below, is
          > anyone else having trouble or is there a different approach I can use
          to get
          > your music list?

          Hrm... works for me. I'm greedily devouring it as I type. I plan to
          sequence the Quen Quer Que tonight into my synth to see how it matches
          with the recording of it I've got stuck in my head.

          -=Eric

          > --- Lady Lin Shiao Mei <shiao_mei@...> wrote:
          > > I have compiled a sheet music book which can be
          > > downloaded as a .pdf file
          > > at:
          > > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shiao_mei/crtdance.pdf

          http://calendar.yahoo.com
        • Evelyn Alden
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
            > Hrm... works for me. I'm greedily devouring it as I
            > type. I plan to
            > sequence the Quen Quer Que tonight into my synth to
            > see how it matches
            > with the recording of it I've got stuck in my head.
            >
            > -=Eric

            If a MIDI or Noteworthy file would help, you can go
            to:
            http://www.angelfire.com/folk/treasurer/lilies2003/

            Or the original version is at:
            http://www.crab.rutgers.edu/~pbutler/music/
            I extended the half note at the end of each "phrase."
            The original music had a half measure there, but most
            musicians were holding it longer, and the dancers
            liked it better (half measures seem to throw many
            people off)

            katriana

            http://calendar.yahoo.com