Re: [OutlandsDance] Re: [Outlands_Music] Re: General call for musicians!

  • Evelyn Alden
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2003
      --- Lady Lin Shiao Mei <shiao_mei@...> wrote:

      > Therefore, at best, I can only
      > remember some music and it may not be the
      > established/accepted pieces.

      For the vast majority of SCA dance music, there is no
      "correct" version, only the version the musicians may
      be used to. There are a few pieces, such as Belle
      Qui, that we have period multi-part arrangements for
      but most dances only have a melody line.

      > As far as accidentals go, or even trills or slurs,
      > those can be pencilled in
      > during practices. I, too, am trained to read music,
      > and improvising is difficult,
      > but editing and then reading the revised music is
      > something I can do.

      I know at least one musician who plays at Pennsic, who
      has insisted that we shouldn't have to write the
      accidentals in, we should "know" where they are. We
      all nod and write them in anyway :-)

      There were a several small changes that I thought
      about trying to mention on the Lilies music page, but
      decided it would be much easier to wait until
      rehearsal. Since I have no other musicians to play
      with, I can only check the top line anyway :-) In
      practice, some weird harmonics can pop up depending on
      the instruments and players. Even on pieces we've
      played for years, odd things can happen when a new
      instrument is tossed in.

      katriana

      http://calendar.yahoo.com