Re: [Outlands_Music] Re: General call for musicians!

  • Lady Lin Shiao Mei
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2003
      Dear Gunwaldt, and others,

      The music in the collection was taken primarily from the Lilies Ball page and
      Dels pages, and some followed links. There are some pieces with multiple
      versions, and some that it was incredibly difficult just to get one version. This
      collection is meant as a launchpad. I hope to replace some pieces as we
      grow (and work with the actual dancers) and mark other pieces as "OFFICIAL
      al-Barranian/Kingdom" pieces. I've personally only participated in court
      dancing as a member of the general feast attendee at some called dances,
      and definitely not as a taught court dancer. Therefore, at best, I can only
      remember some music and it may not be the established/accepted pieces.

      As far as accidentals go, or even trills or slurs, those can be pencilled in
      during practices. I, too, am trained to read music, and improvising is difficult,
      but editing and then reading the revised music is something I can do.

      I hope that we will be able to launch this group! I have gotten so much
      response from so many different people, and musical backgrounds, that it is
      definitely encouraging!

      In Service,
      Lady Lin Shiao Mei of Ali Shan
      Barony of al-Barran & College of St. Golias
      Kingdom of the Outlands

      (505) 873-3951; cell: (505) 934-3952

      On 30 May 2003 at 14:25, gunwaldt wrote:

      > Gunwaldt here,
      >
      > Lin Shiao Mei wrote:
      > > I have compiled a sheet music book which can be
      > > downloaded as a .pdf file at:
      > > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shiao_mei/crtdance.pdf
      >
      > This is a great start for being able to play with different folk
      > across the kingdom. I downloaded it last night and played through
      > the book. I think it is a decent collection for dance music.
      >
      > I must ask though, if the compositions are your transcriptions. Many
      > of the tunes I've heard previously but I found some of these versions
      > slightly different. (Let me quickly point out that I have no
      > credentials or authority, just an ear that has heard these
      > previously.) It appears that there are missing accidentals in the
      > notation. I point this out because, being a person taught to read
      > music, I only play what I see. (I know that the more experienced
      > musicians are able to adapt 'on the fly' what they play to the
      > desired chord or movement.)
      >
      > Perhaps we can discuss this after your meeting next weekend.
      >
      > Gunwaldt

    • Evelyn Alden
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2003
        --- Lady Lin Shiao Mei <shiao_mei@...> wrote:

        > Therefore, at best, I can only
        > remember some music and it may not be the
        > established/accepted pieces.

        For the vast majority of SCA dance music, there is no
        "correct" version, only the version the musicians may
        be used to. There are a few pieces, such as Belle
        Qui, that we have period multi-part arrangements for
        but most dances only have a melody line.

        > As far as accidentals go, or even trills or slurs,
        > those can be pencilled in
        > during practices. I, too, am trained to read music,
        > and improvising is difficult,
        > but editing and then reading the revised music is
        > something I can do.

        I know at least one musician who plays at Pennsic, who
        has insisted that we shouldn't have to write the
        accidentals in, we should "know" where they are. We
        all nod and write them in anyway :-)

        There were a several small changes that I thought
        about trying to mention on the Lilies music page, but
        decided it would be much easier to wait until
        rehearsal. Since I have no other musicians to play
        with, I can only check the top line anyway :-) In
        practice, some weird harmonics can pop up depending on
        the instruments and players. Even on pieces we've
        played for years, odd things can happen when a new
        instrument is tossed in.

        katriana

        http://calendar.yahoo.com