Re: [OutlandsDance] General call for musicians!

  • Lady Lin Shiao Mei
    Message 1 of 7 , May 29, 2003
      I will try to keep all posted on our progress. It promises to be very exciting
      and rewarding for us!

      In Service,
      Lady Lin Shiao Mei of Ali Shan
      Barony of al-Barran & College of St. Golias
      Kingdom of the Outlands

      (505) 873-3951; cell: (505) 934-3952

      Message 2 of 7 , May 30, 2003

        This looks like a fun and worthy project. I wish I could be there for the
        meeting.

        Hopefully, M. Crispin and/or M. Caelainn are involved - they already have a
        lot of period dance music (some of it annotated). They should have seen this
        thread on the music list (I don't think either is on the dance list).

        Evelyn Alden wrote:
        > For the vast majority of SCA dance music, there is no
        > "correct" version, only the version the musicians may
        > be used to.

        That's for sure, although the dancers need to know it, too :)

        Note that while many versions may be equally valid interpretations, others are
        less good because they change the original or add modern elements unnecessarily.

        > There are a few pieces, such as Belle
        > Qui, that we have period multi-part arrangements for
        > but most dances only have a melody line.

        Indeed. And bassa dances are even worse: few of the litterally hundreds of
        bassa dances have more than a tenor line. In period, musicians were expected to
        improvise the "tune". (I understand that improvosation was expected a lot of
        the time.)

        > I know at least one musician who plays at Pennsic, who
        > has insisted that we shouldn't have to write the
        > accidentals in, we should "know" where they are. We
        > all nod and write them in anyway :-)

        Not everyone has Tibicen's knowledge, skill, and dedication. I think it is good
        to recognize the ideal, and work toward it as best you can. Meanwhile, keep a
        pencil handy.

        Keith / Guillaume S:}>
      • Morris Schaefer
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
          Hello,

          I'm having no luck opening the page linked in the letter below, is anyone
          else having trouble or is there a different approach I can use to get your
          music list?
          Sean

          >)
          >
          >--- Lady Lin Shiao Mei <shiao_mei@...> wrote:
          > > I have compiled a sheet music book which can be
          > > downloaded as a .pdf file
          > > at:
          > > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shiao_mei/crtdance.pdf
          > > - please print
          > > this and bring it with you to this meeting.
          >
          >Let me know how the Quen Quer Que sounds. A group in
          >Three Rivers (St Louis, MO) tried it and said is
          >sounded more oriental than they thought a cantiga
          >should.
          >
          >On the plus side, they liked the combination of a
          >simplified melody with Lady Phaedria's bottom lines on
          >Korobushka (wait, the out of period tune I got right,
          >the in period...maybe it's not on the plus side after
          >all :-) )
          >
          >katriana

          >Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync to Outlook(TM).
          >http://calendar.yahoo.com

        • Eric Schwartz
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
            > I'm having no luck opening the page linked in the letter below, is
            > anyone else having trouble or is there a different approach I can use
            to get
            > your music list?

            Hrm... works for me. I'm greedily devouring it as I type. I plan to
            sequence the Quen Quer Que tonight into my synth to see how it matches
            with the recording of it I've got stuck in my head.

            -=Eric

            > --- Lady Lin Shiao Mei <shiao_mei@...> wrote:
            > > I have compiled a sheet music book which can be
            > > downloaded as a .pdf file
            > > at:
            > > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shiao_mei/crtdance.pdf

            http://calendar.yahoo.com
          • Evelyn Alden
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
              > Hrm... works for me. I'm greedily devouring it as I
              > type. I plan to
              > sequence the Quen Quer Que tonight into my synth to
              > see how it matches
              > with the recording of it I've got stuck in my head.
              >
              > -=Eric

              If a MIDI or Noteworthy file would help, you can go
              to:
              http://www.angelfire.com/folk/treasurer/lilies2003/

              Or the original version is at:
              http://www.crab.rutgers.edu/~pbutler/music/
              I extended the half note at the end of each "phrase."
              The original music had a half measure there, but most
              musicians were holding it longer, and the dancers
              liked it better (half measures seem to throw many
              people off)

              katriana

              http://calendar.yahoo.com