Re: [OutlandsDance] General call for musicians!

  • Evelyn Alden
    Message 1 of 7 , May 29 10:22 PM
      --- Lady Lin Shiao Mei <shiao_mei@...> wrote:
      > I have compiled a sheet music book which can be
      > downloaded as a .pdf file
      > at:
      > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shiao_mei/crtdance.pdf
      > - please print
      > this and bring it with you to this meeting.

      Let me know how the Quen Quer Que sounds. A group in
      Three Rivers (St Louis, MO) tried it and said is
      sounded more oriental than they thought a cantiga
      should.

      On the plus side, they liked the combination of a
      simplified melody with Lady Phaedria's bottom lines on
      Korobushka (wait, the out of period tune I got right,
      the in period...maybe it's not on the plus side after
      all :-) )

      katriana

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Lady Lin Shiao Mei
      Message 2 of 7 , May 29 10:49 PM
        I will try to keep all posted on our progress. It promises to be very exciting
        and rewarding for us!

        In Service,
        Lady Lin Shiao Mei of Ali Shan
        Barony of al-Barran & College of St. Golias
        Kingdom of the Outlands

        (505) 873-3951; cell: (505) 934-3952

        Message 3 of 7 , May 30 6:04 PM

          This looks like a fun and worthy project. I wish I could be there for the
          meeting.

          Hopefully, M. Crispin and/or M. Caelainn are involved - they already have a
          lot of period dance music (some of it annotated). They should have seen this
          thread on the music list (I don't think either is on the dance list).

          Evelyn Alden wrote:
          > For the vast majority of SCA dance music, there is no
          > "correct" version, only the version the musicians may
          > be used to.

          That's for sure, although the dancers need to know it, too :)

          Note that while many versions may be equally valid interpretations, others are
          less good because they change the original or add modern elements unnecessarily.

          > There are a few pieces, such as Belle
          > Qui, that we have period multi-part arrangements for
          > but most dances only have a melody line.

          Indeed. And bassa dances are even worse: few of the litterally hundreds of
          bassa dances have more than a tenor line. In period, musicians were expected to
          improvise the "tune". (I understand that improvosation was expected a lot of
          the time.)

          > I know at least one musician who plays at Pennsic, who
          > has insisted that we shouldn't have to write the
          > accidentals in, we should "know" where they are. We
          > all nod and write them in anyway :-)

          Not everyone has Tibicen's knowledge, skill, and dedication. I think it is good
          to recognize the ideal, and work toward it as best you can. Meanwhile, keep a
          pencil handy.

          Keith / Guillaume S:}>
        • Morris Schaefer
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
            Hello,

            I'm having no luck opening the page linked in the letter below, is anyone
            else having trouble or is there a different approach I can use to get your
            music list?
            Sean

            >)
            >
            >--- Lady Lin Shiao Mei <shiao_mei@...> wrote:
            > > I have compiled a sheet music book which can be
            > > downloaded as a .pdf file
            > > at:
            > > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shiao_mei/crtdance.pdf
            > > - please print
            > > this and bring it with you to this meeting.
            >
            >Let me know how the Quen Quer Que sounds. A group in
            >Three Rivers (St Louis, MO) tried it and said is
            >sounded more oriental than they thought a cantiga
            >should.
            >
            >On the plus side, they liked the combination of a
            >simplified melody with Lady Phaedria's bottom lines on
            >Korobushka (wait, the out of period tune I got right,
            >the in period...maybe it's not on the plus side after
            >all :-) )
            >
            >katriana

            >Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync to Outlook(TM).
            >http://calendar.yahoo.com

          • Eric Schwartz
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
              > I'm having no luck opening the page linked in the letter below, is
              > anyone else having trouble or is there a different approach I can use
              to get
              > your music list?

              Hrm... works for me. I'm greedily devouring it as I type. I plan to
              sequence the Quen Quer Que tonight into my synth to see how it matches
              with the recording of it I've got stuck in my head.

              -=Eric

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
                > Hrm... works for me. I'm greedily devouring it as I
                > type. I plan to
                > sequence the Quen Quer Que tonight into my synth to
                > see how it matches
                > with the recording of it I've got stuck in my head.
                >
                > -=Eric

                If a MIDI or Noteworthy file would help, you can go
                to:
                http://www.angelfire.com/folk/treasurer/lilies2003/

                Or the original version is at:
                http://www.crab.rutgers.edu/~pbutler/music/
                I extended the half note at the end of each "phrase."
                The original music had a half measure there, but most
                musicians were holding it longer, and the dancers
                liked it better (half measures seem to throw many
                people off)

                katriana

                http://calendar.yahoo.com