General call for musicians!

  • Lady Lin Shiao Mei
    Message 1 of 7 , May 29, 2003
      {This is a duplicate posting. I apologize if you receive this more than once,
      but I wanted to be sure I reached everyone who might be interested.}

      Greetings all good gentles,

      I am holding an organizational/interest meeting for instrumentalists interested
      in playing live music for court music. We will be meeting at Sunday fighter
      practice (in al-Barran) on June 8, at 12:00 pm. My intent is to have
      approximately a half hour to meet before Lady Barbara's regularly scheduled
      Court Dance practice which will run from 12:30 to 2:30 pm, so that we can
      see some of the dances and get a feel for how we might fit.

      Lady Barbara, would you please confirm this date and time?

      I have compiled a sheet music book which can be downloaded as a .pdf file
      at: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shiao_mei/crtdance.pdf - please print
      this and bring it with you to this meeting.

      Please contact me if you are interested, but cannot make the meeting.

      In Service,
      Lady Lin Shiao Mei of Ali Shan
      Barony of al-Barran & College of St. Golias
      Kingdom of the Outlands

      (505) 873-3951; cell: (505) 934-3952
    • Evelyn Alden
      Message 2 of 7 , May 29, 2003
        --- Lady Lin Shiao Mei <shiao_mei@...> wrote:
        > I have compiled a sheet music book which can be
        > downloaded as a .pdf file
        > at:
        > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shiao_mei/crtdance.pdf
        > - please print
        > this and bring it with you to this meeting.

        Let me know how the Quen Quer Que sounds. A group in
        Three Rivers (St Louis, MO) tried it and said is
        sounded more oriental than they thought a cantiga
        should.

        On the plus side, they liked the combination of a
        simplified melody with Lady Phaedria's bottom lines on
        Korobushka (wait, the out of period tune I got right,
        the in period...maybe it's not on the plus side after
        all :-) )

        katriana

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • Lady Lin Shiao Mei
        Message 3 of 7 , May 29, 2003
          I will try to keep all posted on our progress. It promises to be very exciting
          and rewarding for us!

          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2003

            This looks like a fun and worthy project. I wish I could be there for the
            meeting.

            Hopefully, M. Crispin and/or M. Caelainn are involved - they already have a
            lot of period dance music (some of it annotated). They should have seen this
            thread on the music list (I don't think either is on the dance list).

            Evelyn Alden wrote:
            > For the vast majority of SCA dance music, there is no
            > "correct" version, only the version the musicians may
            > be used to.

            That's for sure, although the dancers need to know it, too :)

            Note that while many versions may be equally valid interpretations, others are
            less good because they change the original or add modern elements unnecessarily.

            > There are a few pieces, such as Belle
            > Qui, that we have period multi-part arrangements for
            > but most dances only have a melody line.

            Indeed. And bassa dances are even worse: few of the litterally hundreds of
            bassa dances have more than a tenor line. In period, musicians were expected to
            improvise the "tune". (I understand that improvosation was expected a lot of
            the time.)

            > I know at least one musician who plays at Pennsic, who
            > has insisted that we shouldn't have to write the
            > accidentals in, we should "know" where they are. We
            > all nod and write them in anyway :-)

            Not everyone has Tibicen's knowledge, skill, and dedication. I think it is good
            to recognize the ideal, and work toward it as best you can. Meanwhile, keep a
            pencil handy.

            Keith / Guillaume S:}>
          • Morris Schaefer
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
              Hello,

              I'm having no luck opening the page linked in the letter below, is anyone
              else having trouble or is there a different approach I can use to get your
              music list?
              Sean

              >)
              >
              >--- Lady Lin Shiao Mei <shiao_mei@...> wrote:
              > > I have compiled a sheet music book which can be
              > > downloaded as a .pdf file
              > > at:
              > > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shiao_mei/crtdance.pdf
              > > - please print
              > > this and bring it with you to this meeting.
              >
              >Let me know how the Quen Quer Que sounds. A group in
              >Three Rivers (St Louis, MO) tried it and said is
              >sounded more oriental than they thought a cantiga
              >should.
              >
              >On the plus side, they liked the combination of a
              >simplified melody with Lady Phaedria's bottom lines on
              >Korobushka (wait, the out of period tune I got right,
              >the in period...maybe it's not on the plus side after
              >all :-) )
              >
              >katriana

              >Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync to Outlook(TM).
              >http://calendar.yahoo.com

            • Eric Schwartz
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
                > I'm having no luck opening the page linked in the letter below, is
                > anyone else having trouble or is there a different approach I can use
                to get
                > your music list?

                Hrm... works for me. I'm greedily devouring it as I type. I plan to
                sequence the Quen Quer Que tonight into my synth to see how it matches
                with the recording of it I've got stuck in my head.

                -=Eric

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
                  > Hrm... works for me. I'm greedily devouring it as I
                  > type. I plan to
                  > sequence the Quen Quer Que tonight into my synth to
                  > see how it matches
                  > with the recording of it I've got stuck in my head.
                  >
                  > -=Eric

                  If a MIDI or Noteworthy file would help, you can go
                  to:
                  http://www.angelfire.com/folk/treasurer/lilies2003/

                  Or the original version is at:
                  http://www.crab.rutgers.edu/~pbutler/music/
                  I extended the half note at the end of each "phrase."
                  The original music had a half measure there, but most
                  musicians were holding it longer, and the dancers
                  liked it better (half measures seem to throw many
                  people off)

                  katriana

                  http://calendar.yahoo.com