spelling corrections, Lady Barbara--Re: A list of dances created at Estrella, Lady Barbara--Re: [OutlandsDance] Dances everyone should know

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2003
      I have found my Estrella notes and below, I have corrected the spelling on #'s 4, 8, &
      14 from what I wrote in the previous email. I also learned and very much enjoyed and
      would recommend the circle, no partner, period dance: Kir Kin Kaid (spelling).
      Yours in service to the dream, Lady Barbara

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20, 2003

        Barbara Krege wrote:

        > I have found my Estrella notes and below, I have corrected the spelling on #'s
        > 4, 8, & 14 from what I wrote in the previous email.

        Not to worry. It was clear what you meant. Beside, some of these dances DO
        have multiple spellings. Madam Sosilia and Rostiboli Gioioso, at least. (Madam
        Sosilia appeared in eight or ten extant manuscripts over the course of 100+
        years, and the spelling was quite variable).

        > I also learned and very much enjoyed and
        > would recommend the circle, no partner, period dance: Kir Kin Kaid (spelling).

        That would be Quen Quer Que, an SCA speculative choreography created by Sion
        Andreas o Wynedd to simulate how a 13th c. Spanish dance might have been done.
        He was inspired by and used period music from "Miracles" by The Dufay Collective
        (on the Chandos label - CHAN 9513, 1997). The SCA group Musica Subterranea also
        performed the music on their "Cornucopia" cd (twice - original length, about 7
        minutes, and a shorter version).

        We have no surviving choreographies from the 13th century, and the only period
        Spanish source (that I'm aware of) is all bassa dances. M. Sion used pictures
        to guide his invention so that it would, at least, be consistent with what
        little we do know about dances from this era.

        We do Quen Quer Que in Caerthe, and learned it from M. Alwyn in Dragonsspine, so
        they do it there, too. Someplace, Arwen and I have original instructions from
        Known World Dance, but I couldn't find them the last time I looked. I do have
        our own write up, if anyone needs instructions.