A list of dances created at Estrella, Lady Barbara--Re: [OutlandsDance] Dances everyone should know

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20 6:42 AM
      Hi, I'm back from Estrella, and while there I spoke with Mistress Julian of
      Atenveldt, Master Nicolo (spelling?), and Lady Seonaid in a group discussion of
      what dances they would recommend. They were doing this list off the top of their
      heads and with me mentioning the dances that were being taught in the various
      classes of Estrella. Here were their collective recommendations:

      1. *Petite Vriens (everyone likes)
      2. *Amoroso (slow and flirty)
      3. Belle Qui Pavan (aka Carolingian Pavan)
      4. Ruffty Tuffty
      5. Hearts Ease
      6. Official Bransle
      7. Black Alman
      8. Madam Cecilia Alman or Lorraine Alman
      9. Ballo del Fiore
      10. Upon a Summer's Day
      11. Pinwheel (okay--their comment) (I like it)
      12. Gathering Peasecods
      13. Jenny Pluck Pears
      14. Rusti Boli Joyeoso (spelling?) (a good one for those interested in dance)
      15. Gelosia
      16. Lauro (bassa) or casulle la Nouvelle (bassa)
      17. Anello (Italian) (means ring)
      * especially recommended I am not sure on the spelling of a few of
      these

      I will teach whatever group of 12 you come up with. My hopes are 1) that they be
      fun to dance, and 2) that the music needed for these dances be on just 2 or 3 cds,
      so as to keep the cost down for anyone starting to teach these dances in the
      Outlands. Also, how are we going to have the dance instructions for each dance
      available--my suggestion would be a website where they could download each of the
      12 dances.

      Yours in service to the dream,

      Lady Barbara, al-Barran, Outlands

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20 1:37 PM
        Thank you! I am delighted that you took the time to pursue this at Estrella.

        Barbara Krege (Lady Barbara) wrote:

        > ... I spoke with Mistress Julian of Atenveldt, Master Nicolo (spelling?), and
        > Lady Seonaid ...

        That would probably be M. Niccolo, former baron of Loch Salann (Artemesia).
        Mistress Julian was the dance coordinator for Estrella and also for Known World
        Rapier in Atenveldt last fall. I don't think I know Lady Seonaid.

        > ... Here were their collective recommendations:
        >
        > 1. *Petite Vriens (everyone likes)

        I identify this as the most popular dance in the SCA.

        > 2. *Amoroso (slow and flirty)

        This is a nice introduction to "chasing and catching" dances. It comes to us
        from Italian sources, but they call it a French dance (Petit Riens - little
        nothings, too).

        > 3. Belle Qui Pavan (aka Carolingian Pavan)
        > 4. Ruffty Tuffty

        Well, these are on my list. I did not include Heart's Ease because it is
        similar to Rufty Tufty and a little more difficult for beginners. I think
        variety is important in this list. I do like HE, though, and it seems popular
        wherever it is done.

        Note that there are also two common versions of Heart's Ease. Dragonsspine and
        Caerthe do not do the same version (the second half of the first verse is
        different).

        > 5. Hearts Ease
        > 6. Official Bransle

        Branle Official is popular with the more energetic dancers, but the SCA
        traveling variation intimidates many older, more sedentary, or 'sizable'
        dancers. I like Peas Branle (Branle Des Pois) for casual or new dancers because
        it is still fun, but allows each dancer to control their own speed and energy.
        Branles really should be included, but there are so many to choose from!

        > 7. Black Alman
        > 8. Madam Cecilia Alman or Lorraine Alman

        These are fun dances. Because of the limit of 12 dances, I only included Black
        Alman, the most complex Old Measure (an still not too hard). We like Lorraine
        Alman in Caerthe (easier, but still interesting), but haven't done Madam Cecilia
        yet. It is on my "to do" list, but I chose to do other dances first because we
        must use a modern composition for the music (there is no extant music for this
        dance). Among other things, this makes it harder for people to find the music.

        > 9. Ballo del Fiore

        This is a good mixer. I know it's been done in al-Barran for at least a few
        years, and we now do it in Caerthe, as well. We actually do two and three
        person versions (and there are other variation in Caroso that we may get to
        someday), but the two person version seems to be best known in the SCA.

        > 10. Upon a Summer's Day

        One of my favorites, partly for personal reasons. It is also an easy, but
        pleasing exemplar of ECDs.

        > 11. Pinwheel (okay--their comment) (I like it)

        The Pinwheel is fun, and we've learned a more authentic version which is not
        hard (basically using Italian steps instead of walking steps). Using the
        correct steps keeps it dance game, instead of just a game.

        Alejandra de Miera taught us two "cacce di farsi" dance games that are so easy
        they can be learned in a walk through - no more than 5 minutes. These are so
        easy they don't need to be on the list - you can just do them.

        > 12. Gathering Peasecods
        > 13. Jenny Pluck Pears

        Two other fine, fun ECDs. For the purpose of this list, I'd probably choose
        one, since they are both circle dances (Gathering Peascods - today - since JPP
        is a set dance, as is Upon a Summers Day).

        > 14. Rusti Boli Joyeoso (spelling?) (a good one for those interested in dance)

        There are lots of spellings (standardized spelling hadn't been invented yet). I
        think yours should be Rosti Boli Joyeoso (roasting boiling joyously). We use
        Rostiboli Gioioso (same thing). This dance is a little more involved than
        Amoroso, but is a wonderful flirting dance. (There is a three person version
        using the same music, but I've always seen it identified as 'Gioioso in tre' -
        for three.)

        > 15. Gelosia

        One of my favorites, this is a good example of the 15th c. Italian ballo that is
        fun but not too hard. (Verceppe is my favorite, but definitely too involved for
        new dancers).

        > 16. Lauro (bassa) or casulle la Nouvelle (bassa)

        Two traditional dances that have been done in the SCA for at least 25 years.
        Lauro is 15th c. Italian (c. 1455), Casulle is Burgundian (c. 1500). I should
        have included one of these in my own list. Casulle may be a better intro dance,
        since it is an archtypical bassa. Once you know this, literally one to two
        hundred other bassa dances will be easy (although you still need to find music
        for them).

        > 17. Anello (Italian) (means ring)

        Another popular ballo, but I'd rather have Geolosia for my short list (strictly
        a personal preference).

        Well, they named 19 dances (17 plus to 'or's). They are all good dances, but
        the challenge is to limit it to 12. Of course we don't have to do that, but I
        think 12 is an easier number to deal with once you are teaching them. As in
        Northshield, we can always modify the list in the future (which actually
        increases the number of dances known, since the old ones don't just disappear).

        > I will teach whatever group of 12 you come up with.

        How do others on the list feel? Any other ideas, suggestions, preferences? I
        think a set of common or shared dances would be useful, but only if they are
        done in common. If only two groups (of at least five that dance) do them, then
        travelers will not be helped much.

        > ... My hopes are 1) that they be
        > fun to dance,

        Everything we've looked at is fun (I think), and easy enough.

        > and 2) that the music needed for these dances be on just 2 or 3 cds,
        > so as to keep the cost down for anyone starting to teach these dances in the
        > Outlands.

        A good point. There are some very inexpensive SCA cds available, so we could
        tap these. In fact, some of the SCA recordings are freely available for SCA
        use, so I can look into making a compilation cd. Off the top of my head, I
        don't know how these fit with the lists we've been looking at, but it sounds
        like a good place to start.

        > Also, how are we going to have the dance instructions for each dance
        > available--my suggestion would be a website where they could download each of the
        > 12 dances.

        That sounds like an excellent idea. Arwen and I have a web site, and have a
        dance manual in the works. Perhaps we can get some of the dances on-line. I
        can also ask the Kingdom Web minister about space, or at least links, on the
        kingdom web site.

        Keith / Guillaume S:}>
      • Sheila McClune
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 20 10:11 PM
          Well, I was going to comment on the list, but Guillaume already said
          most of what I wanted to say. <pout>.

          However, I think you picked some great people to talk with, and I really
          liked their list. It's a really great idea to coordinate with our
          neighboring kingdoms, since there is the possibility that we might visit
          them, or they might come here, and it would be nice if we knew at least
          some of the same dances.

          > > 1. *Petite Vriens (everyone likes)
          > > 2. *Amoroso (slow and flirty)
          > > 3. Belle Qui Pavan (aka Carolingian Pavan)
          > > 4. Ruffty Tuffty
          > > 5. Hearts Ease
          > > 6. Official Bransle
          > > 7. Black Alman
          > > 8. Madam Cecilia Alman or Lorraine Alman
          > > 9. Ballo del Fiore
          > > 10. Upon a Summer's Day
          > > 11. Pinwheel (okay--their comment) (I like it)
          > > 12. Gathering Peasecods
          > > 13. Jenny Pluck Pears
          > > 14. Rusti Boli Joyeoso (spelling?) (a good one for those interested in dance)
          > > 15. Gelosia
          > > 16. Lauro (bassa) or casulle la Nouvelle (bassa)
          > > 17. Anello (Italian) (means ring)

          We haven't done Madam Sosilia's Alman here, because it's a "hugging"
          dance, and some of our people are a bit shy. (Well, that, and we tend
          to get more women than men, and while we don't *mind* hugging each other
          ... it's just not the same.) I suspect that this dance would do well in
          the college groups, though.

          I entered Rostiboli (with Guillaume as my partner) in Kingdom A&S this
          last time around. It's one of my favorites.

          Actually, most of the dances you list are on my list of favorites -- I'm
          not sure how we could narrow it down to just 12. Maybe 15? We could
          drop Anello (which is fun, but not as much fun as Amoroso or Gelosia)
          and Madam Sosilia/Lorraine (those are easy enough to be taught quickly
          at an event, anyway).

          Oh, and I agree with Guillaume, in that us older, more sedentary dancers
          aren't as enthusiastic about Branle Official as the younger folk. I
          like Washerwoman's Branle -- especially the part where you get to scold
          your partner. <grin>

          > > ... My hopes are 1) that they be
          > > fun to dance,
          <<<

          I'm all for that! One of the problems we're running into, I think, is
          that people have this misconception that period dances can't be fun.
          These dances are all great fun, and people just need to give them a
          chance.

          > > and 2) that the music needed for these dances be on just 2 or 3 cds,
          > > so as to keep the cost down for anyone starting to teach these dances in the
          > > Outlands.
          >
          > A good point. There are some very inexpensive SCA cds available, so we could
          > tap these. In fact, some of the SCA recordings are freely available for SCA
          > use, so I can look into making a compilation cd. Off the top of my head, I
          > don't know how these fit with the lists we've been looking at, but it sounds
          > like a good place to start.
          <<<

          Yes ... I think most of them are available at Eric Praetzel's website.
          I'll check tomorrow, on my lunch hour, and report back.

          > > Also, how are we going to have the dance instructions for each dance
          > > available--my suggestion would be a website where they could download each of the
          > > 12 dances.
          >
          > That sounds like an excellent idea. Arwen and I have a web site, and have a
          > dance manual in the works. Perhaps we can get some of the dances on-line. I
          > can also ask the Kingdom Web minister about space, or at least links, on the
          > kingdom web site.
          <<<

          Yes, the Kingdom Webminister has offered us space for other projects, so
          I'd think there'd be room for this one, too. I currently have the
          ability to turn any Word file into a PDF, so if we'd like to do it that
          way, we could.

          I think having the instructions out there so that anyone in the kingdom
          can access them is an excellent idea!