Dances everyone should know

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2003

      A couple of years ago, somebody posted a question to the SCA-Dance list
      asking for everyone's list of "top twelve dances everyone should know." This is
      apparently a standard question for the dance instructors at each year's
      Northshield Dance Seminar (Barony of Jararvellir). I recently came across their
      list from last year:

      Petit Vriens 15th C Italian
      Bizzaria d'Amore 16th C Italian
      Carolingian (Belle Qui) Pavane 16th C French
      Galliarde 16th C Pan-European
      Montarde Branle 16th C French
      Horses Branle 16th C French
      Scottish Branle 16th C French
      Black Alman 16th C English
      Sellinger's Round 17th C English
      Black Nag 17th C English
      Jenny Pluck Pears 17th C English
      Picking of Sticks 17th C English

      This is not meant to be an exclusive list, but a basic list. More dances are
      better, but, the thought goes, wouldn't it be nice if everyone had a common
      ground of 12 dances they could do anywhere. They do change the list every
      year. (Gee, if you learned each year's list, eventually you'd know a lot of
      dances - do you suppose they've thought of this?)

      Anyway, this got me to thinking what I would choose. I would go for a variety
      of basic dance styles, on the theory that once you know one, its easier to learn
      more. This is very useful when traveling (say, to Estrella).

      My current list (for today, anyway) is:

      Petit Vriens 15th C Italian
      Geolosia 15th C Italian
      Black Alman 16th C English
      Villanella 16th C Italian
      Carolingian (Belle Qui) Pavane 16th C French like
      Galliarde 16th C Pan-European
      Branle Charlotte* 16th C French
      Branle Des Pois 16th C French
      Branle d'Escosse 16th C French
      Rufty Tufty 17th C English
      Gathering Peascods 17th C English
      Black Nag 17th C English

      *if allowed to cheat, I'd make this the Suitte de Champagne: Branles Cassandra,
      Pinnagay, Charlotte, de la Guerre, and Aridan.

      What would you put on your list? Do you see any advantage to a list of "twelve
      dances everyone in the Outlands should know?"

      Keith / Guillaume S:}>
    • skmcclune <smcclune@earthlink.net>
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 17, 2003
        --- In OutlandsDance@yahoogroups.com, Keith McClune
        <swashbuckler@c...> wrote:
        > Hi there:
        >
        > A couple of years ago, somebody posted a question to the SCA-
        Dance list
        > asking for everyone's list of "top twelve dances everyone should
        know." <snip>
        > This is not meant to be an exclusive list, but a basic list. More
        dances are
        > better, but, the thought goes, wouldn't it be nice if everyone had
        a common
        > ground of 12 dances they could do anywhere.
        <snip>
        > My current list (for today, anyway) is:
        >
        > Petit Vriens 15th C Italian
        > Geolosia 15th C Italian
        > Black Alman 16th C English
        > Villanella 16th C Italian
        > Carolingian (Belle Qui) Pavane 16th C French like
        > Galliarde 16th C Pan-European
        > Branle Charlotte* 16th C French
        > Branle Des Pois 16th C French
        > Branle d'Escosse 16th C French
        > Rufty Tufty 17th C English
        > Gathering Peascods 17th C English
        > Black Nag 17th C English
        <<<

        Not to surprisingly, I guess, my list is pretty much the same. The
        only substitution I might make it to put in Ballo del Fiore as
        the "token" 16th C. Italian dance, since I know they've done it in al-
        Barran, and we've done it here in Caerthe, and that gives us a base
        of people who know it.

        > Do you see any advantage to a list of "twelve
        > dances everyone in the Outlands should know?"
        <<<

        Funny you should ask ... the question of "what dance tunes musicians
        should know" recently came up on Outlands Bardic. Now, if the
        musicians' list and the dancers' list could be one and the same ...
        whenever we got together, we could all dance!

        I think there would be a lot of advantages to having at least a few
        dances that are taught everywhere in the kingdom. It'd make dancing
        a lot more likely to happen, for starters.

        So how could we get such a list going, and spread it to all the dance
        teachers in the Outlands? Isn't Unser Hafen Dance coming up soon?
        Would this be a good time/place to meet to talk about it, at least
        with the folks that can make it there?

        Arwen Southernwood
        Barony of Caerthe, Outlands
        (Denver, CO)
      • Morris Schaefer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 18, 2003
          Thanks you for the thought provoking letter,
          Your list is different than mine, I don't know 12 dances yet. I have done
          some at Estrella but didn't learn the names and can't really remember how
          they went but had fun dancing all the same. It also seems that we have
          affew different favorites in the south half of the kingdom. I agree, a top
          12 or 15 list with music and dance instructions would generate more dancing
          at events than is currently done. Is anybody working on such a project.
          I'd love to learn the music and so would my lady so we could provide live
          music. This past year has been spent gathering recordings of many dances,
          now I just need scores to work from. We can generate quality printable
          versions if all you have is a hand written version.

          I must also say, some dances are not suitabel for my aged knees, etc so I
          may have a different list of favorites just based on the types of steps
          involved.

          Lord Sean MacLeod

        • Sheila McClune
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 21, 2003
            Well, my knees aren't as young as they once were, so it could be that
            some of our favorite dances would work well for you. That's one of the
            cool things about period dance -- there's such a variety, you can find
            something for just about anybody!

            I know Lady Barbara was doing some of the dance stuff in al-Barran.
            Don't know if she's on the list at the moment or not -- it kinda depends
            on whether she has e-mail access or not. Otherwise, if you're going to
            be at Queen's Collegium, Guillaume and I will likely teach a dance class
            or two there.

            Arwen