I will give this some thought soon, Lady Barbara, al-Barran--RE: [OutlandsDance] Dances for Kids

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2002
      I will give this some thought soon, Lady Barbara, al-Barran--RE: [OutlandsDance] Dances for Kids

      I finally have access again to a computer, after the summer.  I have been including children (ages 7 and up) in my dance practices, and have some idea of the ages at which some children pick up on some dances.  I encourage children to dance with us (perhaps not every adult agrees) at events, demos, performances, and practices.  You will see many adults in al-Barran, during any given dance, helping a child through the dance.  There are children in al-Barran who clearly love to dance and are excited about dancing and to me personally, that is the most important.  Also, the child is usually partnered with an adult, rather than another child, so the "partner" issue doesn't come up.

      I'm at work, but will give thought as to specific dances and my experiences with different children at different ages this weekend and respond again soon.  I appreciate the topic and look forward to others' input.

      Yours in service to the dream,

      Lady Barbara, a court dance instructor in al-Barran (Albuquerque, NM), 505-293-7453

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2002
        --- In OutlandsDance@y..., Barbara Krege <krege@a...> wrote:
        > I finally have access again to a computer, after the summer.
        <<<

        Yay!!! Welcome back!!!

        > I'm at work, but will give thought as to specific dances and my
        experiences
        > with different children at different ages this weekend and respond
        again
        > soon.
        <<<

        I look forward to your response.

        We have always included any children who are interested in the
        dancing, but we haven't had one attending practice regularly in some
        time. There was a young lady (age around 12-14?) who participated in
        the entire Caroso workshop in June and did very well.

        One of the things that makes the upcoming class a little different,
        however, is that the children will be dancing with other children,
        most of whom also do not know the dances.

        This is important for two reasons. One is that, as we've noticed (and
        I'm sure you have, too), it's much easier to teach a person to do a
        dance when everyone else already knows the steps. The other people in
        the set can help pull the new dancer through, and there's someone to
        watch when you don't remember what comes next. (We've see very
        experienced historical dance teachers have difficulty teaching groups
        of science fiction fans, for example ...)

        The other difference is that any given kid will behave differently
        when they are the only kid (or one of a few kids) in a group that is
        mostly adults, than when they are one of a group of other kids. When
        they're with other kids, they might be more easily distracted -- or,
        as I've also seen, they might also compete to see who can learn the
        new thing fastest/best.

        But then, you've got more experience with kids than I do ... what do
        you find?