Re: Intro

  • McClune, Sheila
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23 11:57 AM
      From: JEANNE STAPLETON <jstaplet@...>

      Hi. My name is Berengaria. I like to dance. I started dancing...well,
      when I was about four, there are a whole bunch of embarrassing photos of
      me after I saw my first ballet and struck "ballet poses" every time
      someone wanted to take a picture of me.
      <<<

      Mom enrolled me in ballet lessons for 2-3 years, in hopes it would make me
      more graceful (I was klutzy even as a kid). I think she finally gave up
      when she saw it wasn't really helping any.

      Later, when my folks took up square dancing, they tried to get me involved,
      but when you're 16, lack of a regular partner is just too embarrassing to
      put up with on a regular basis ...

      <<<
      I started studying, slowly and unsurely at first, some sources; and not
      all of those were primary. It was hard to get primary sources in Oertha,
      which is when I started to get interested.
      <<<

      Which reminds me of another thing I wanted to do, (though I don't have time
      today), which is to make a list of readily-available sources. A couple of
      things are out on the web, and I had reasonably good luck with interlibrary
      loan. And a couple of things (like Arbeau and Caroso) are currently in
      print from Dover Books.

      I'll see if I can get that done and get it posted in the next few days ...

      I have a fairly substantial library now, but it's taken many years, a lot of
      searching, and a little just-plain-dumb-luck (found a copy of deLauze--early
      1600's French-- for $.50 on the "miscellaneous" table at the Denver Botanic
      Gardens used book sale a couple of years ago). And there are some things I
      would still very much like to find.

      I really got into studying and practicing period dance living int he
      central West, where I had the opportunity to attend several practices
      a week.
      <<<

      <whimper> Several practices a week! <whimper> I'm lucky to get to one,
      and that's mostly because I run it!

      I haven't done much dance lately just due to a busy schedule.
      <<<

      Come dance with us, then. I'll try to remember to remind you every
      Thursday.