Dance Practice schedule

  • Swashbuckler
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25 11:47 AM

      Things have been pretty quiet on this list. Anybody out there?

      I updated the Caerthen Dance web page this weekend at
      http://home.earthlink.net/%7Esmcclune/dance.html. The schedule for the rest
      of the year has been updated and I added a play list of the dances we do.
      If you get a chance, check it out and let me know what you think.

      What other practices are people going to?

      Arwen and I had a great time June 8-12 at Known World Dance Symposium
      III in Carolingia (Boston, MA) - ancient hub of SCA dance. We learned many
      new dances and acquired several new resources and insights. One of these
      days we'll get our thoughts collected enough to post an account of our
      adventures.

      The highlights of the event were probably the Known World Ball with 200
      dancers or more, the Caroso style balls, the Masque Ball Monday night, and
      Julia Sutton's class Tuesday. Del's reconstruction of Prexonera may become
      an SCA standard. We were blessed with live music for almost everything
      (including many of the classes!) and I've learned that we don't have a
      monopoly on delightfully evil players. We also got to see an old friend,
      the Baron of Stonemarche (NH), perform in one of the Boston Early Music
      Festival events.

      Anybody else been having fun with dancing?

      Keith / Guillaume S:}>
    • sheila.mcclune@anthem.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 25 12:29 PM
        Arwen and I had a great time June 8-12 at Known World Dance Symposium
        III in Carolingia (Boston, MA) - ancient hub of SCA dance.
        <<<

        It was indeed a wonderful time -- bunches of dance geeks all together in
        one place. For me, one of the highlights had to be Julia Sutton's class --
        learning dance steps and stylings from one of the foremost figures in
        Renaissance dance, not just in the SCA, but in the "mundane" world as well
        ... it was just very cool.

        I was also very pleased to discover that canaries aren't nearly as
        strenuous as they look, and are in fact a lot of fun. Lots of stomping and
        attitude. :)

        We learned many
        new dances and acquired several new resources and insights.
        <<<

        We've even started teaching some of them at dance practice already. Within
        two days of our return, we had already taught Amoroso, a 15th century
        Italian dance, at our practice. It's a fairly easy dance, but one that can
        be lots of fun once you're comfortable enough with the steps to add in the
        flirty bits.

        Last week, Guillaume taught us Gioioso in Tre, a three-person version of
        Rostiboli Gioioso, which is another of the 15th c. Italian dances we've
        been doing for about a year.

        We were blessed with live music for almost everything
        (including many of the classes!) and I've learned that we don't have a
        monopoly on delightfully evil players.
        <<<

        The musicians were wonderful -- so accomodating, willing to keep on playing
        and playing ... It was very cool to have musicians playing for the
        classes, because then the teacher could teach a section of a dance, and the
        musicians would play it and we'd dance it, then the teacher would go over
        the next section ... a person could get really spoiled that way.

        I'd be really interested in hearing what other people have been up to,
        though. Anyone?

        message.
      • Swashbuckler
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 16, 2001

          Anybody out there?

          I have updated the Caerthen Dance web page again at
          http://home.earthlink.net/%7Esmcclune/dance.html. The schedule has been
          updated and pictures have been added.

          Keith / Guillaume S:}>
        • sheila.mcclune@anthem.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 16, 2001
            I'm here! But then, you knew that, right?

            Is anyone *else* out there? Anybody wanna talk about dance?

            Looking for something else yesterday, I came up with the flier from a
            Caroso-style ball we ran a couple of years ago. Kind of amusing to see how
            our dance "play list" has changed since then.

            And then we could get into the whole Earl of Salisbury Pavan discussion ...
            since we also unearthed our copy of Dolmetsch yesterday ...

            Arwen

            Swashbuckler
            <swashbuckler@ca To: "'OutlandsDance@onelist.com'"
            erthe.org> <OutlandsDance@yahoogroups.com>
            cc:
            07/16/2001 11:29 Subject: [OutlandsDance] RE: Dance
            AM Practice schedule
            Please respond
            to OutlandsDance

            Hi there:

            Anybody out there?

            I have updated the Caerthen Dance web page again at
            http://home.earthlink.net/%7Esmcclune/dance.html. The schedule has been
            updated and pictures have been added.

            Keith / Guillaume S:}>

            Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance. -- Dave Barry

            message.