Black Fork Mountain backpack trip information

  • bubbahotep62
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010

      I am re-posting this information in case we get to go this weekend. So far the weather forecast is not too bad with a high 0f 60 on Saturday and mid 40's Saturday night and a slight chance for rain. Unless the forecast changes, I am willing to attempt it. Please read the re-post below for more information. Also, I will keep in close touch with the ones I know planning to go.

       > If you plan to go, try to be at the trailhead no later than 10:00
      AM. This should give us plenty of time to reach the campsite and set
      up before sunset then checkout what is left of the old homestead on
      top of the mountain. There is also a civil war era cemetery on the
      mountain that may or may not be accessible after arriving in camp.

      > This trail is considered moderately strenuous. The elevation gain
      on trail is around 1,000 ft. There is only one creek crossing and I
      believe it is on a footbridge at the beginning of the trail (unless
      washed out). From that point the trail climbs for quite a distance
      then levels out for a while. We pass an old mule trail about 3/4ths
      the way to camp, which we will utilize on the way back Sunday
      morning. With a few more ups and downs, we pass what Tim Ernst
      (Arkansas trail guide author) writes is the largest rock glacier in
      Arkansas. Not too long after the rock glacier we will arrive at the
      campsite. Sunday morning we will return to the old mule trail and
      then head straight down the mountain to Rich Mountain Country Store
      where, hopefully, breakfast is still available. The trip down only
      takes about 1 ½ hours if I remember correctly. We will cross private
      property on the way down, but I have confirmed that the property
      owner does not mind. He just does not want motorized vehicles on his
      property. After breakfast, I will hike the highway back to the
      trailhead and return to the store with a vehicle to shuttle everyone
      back to the trailhead

      > As far as water is concerned, there are two locations that may have
      available water. One source is a small frog pond about 2 ½ miles from
      TH. The other source is within a few hundred feet of campsite. I
      cannot guarantee the reliability of these water sources so please
      plan to carry the water you will need during the trip. I will carry a
      filter just in case water is available.
      The campsite is on top of the
      mountain, so we will be more exposed to the weather. Prepare
      accordingly! Don't forget first aid items. This area also purports to
      have the highest concentration of black bear in Arkansas. I have only
      been there twice and did not see any sign of bear. We even cooked in
      camp with no problems, but we do need to hang our food.

      > The trailhead is approximately 1 ½ miles east of Rich Mountain on
      the north side of the highway. If you are coming from Mena and see
      Rich Mountain Country Store, you need to turn around and go back to
      find the trailhead. If you plan to go please RSVP so I will know you
      are coming. I do not want to leave you at the trailhead. If needed, I
      can be reached at (903)590-6953. Yes, my phone is working again. At
      least for the time being.

      > Hope to see you on the trail,
      >
      > Walter

    • bubbahotep62
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
        Even better news. I believe I misread the forecast which is indicating a high 61 and mostly sunny Saturday and a low of low 50's during Saturday night and Sunday morning with a 20 % chance of rain at night. This was confirmed by visiting 4 weather forecast webpages. Hopefully, it will not change drastically from that. Of course, we will be at higher altitudes and can most likely expect slightly cooler weather. I don't think it will vary drastically from the Mena forecast. I am ready to GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! The head count so far is 8.

        --- In Outdoorclubofeasttexas@yahoogroups.com, "bubbahotep62" <wbrown62@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > plan to carry the water you will need during the trip. I will carry a
        > filter just in case water is available. The campsite is on top of the
        > mountain, so we will be more exposed to the weather. Prepare
        > accordingly! Don't forget first aid items. This area also purports to
        > have the highest concentration of black bear in Arkansas. I have only
        > been there twice and did not see any sign of bear. We even cooked in
        > camp with no problems, but we do need to hang our food.
        > >
        > > The trailhead is approximately 1 ½ miles east of Rich Mountain on
        > the north side of the highway. If you are coming from Mena and see
        > Rich Mountain Country Store, you need to turn around and go back to
        > find the trailhead. If you plan to go please RSVP so I will know you
        > are coming. I do not want to leave you at the trailhead. If needed, I
        > can be reached at (903)590-6953. Yes, my phone is working again. At

      • bubbahotep62
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2010
          The weather forecast for Mena has been revised down a little. I checked 4 weather sites and its looking like 58 and partly sunny Saturday and 41 - 45 and cloudy Saturday night. A little cooler than yesterdays forecast so plan accordingly.