IDEA Weekly Update - Together At Last!

  • DLewis0991@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2004

      OUR CHILDREN LEFT BEHIND
      ** WHAT YOU CAN DO RIGHT NOW **

      OCTOBER 8-10, 2004

      IDEA WEEKLY UPDATE – TOGETHER AT LAST!

      Well, the week is coming to a close, and we have still heard nothing about the House appointing conferees to consider IDEA reauthorization.

      Actually, we haven’t heard much about IDEA reauthorization at all this week. The most exciting news of the week is actually more personal – we are putting out this special 3-day edition of our Weekly Update because Debi and I will be traveling to Michigan this weekend to meet up with our Michigan teammates (Shari, Tricia and Cal) – this will be the first time that all five of us will be in the same room at the same time, and my first time meeting the Lukers in person! Oh, we’ve spent countless hours (as you can imagine!) emailing and even speaking by phone, but never have we all been together in the same room! We’re all very excited to have this long-awaited opportunity!

      As for the site, no Breaking News to report – we’re all waiting for news from the House. The ball is in their court at this point – stay tuned!

      Our
      Message Board has been busy, however. Mike Savory, a parent advocate from Virginia, has posted a call for letters and marchers for a planned rally in D.C. in the near future (timing is uncertain as he’s awaiting news as to the possible conference committee). OSEP has finally released some important graduation data – unfortunately, the data doesn’t look too good. We have an article called, “The Rise of the Parentariat,” which discusses the increasing power of parents in the world of education, as well as a challenge by UCP to the presidential candidates, calling for them to address disability issues in the debates. Finally, we have an article about Exceptional Parent’s Disability Awareness Day, in which the Lukers and OCLB are prominently mentioned! (As you’ll recall, the Lukers were honored by EP for their tireless work on behalf of people with disabilities.)

      We also have some new goodies in our
      NCLB folder, for those of you who are interested in NCLB happenings (there is much overlap between NCLB and IDEA reauthorization). We have the announcement of a new organization formed to protect NCLB and the transcript of an EdWeek interview with Sandy Kress (of the Bush Administration). We also have two GAO Reports – one finding that improvements are needed in tracking state implementation of NCLB, and the other dealing with rural school districts.

      Finally, in our
      Off Topic folder, we have an Ohio parent seeking information about qualified speech/language pathologists and neuropsychologists in Ohio (preferably Columbus area) – if you can help, please take a moment to respond.

      That’s it for now! If we hear anything else, you’ll be the first to know!

      Sandy Strassman Alperstein, today's
      parentvolunteer@...

      ©2004 Our Children Left Behind.

      Our Children Left Behind [OCLB] was created and is owned/operated by parent volunteers (Shari Krishnan, Tricia & Calvin Luker, Sandy Strassman Alperstein, and Debi Lewis). Permission to forward, copy, and/or post this article is granted provided that it is unedited and attributed to the author(s) and www.ourchildrenleftbehind.com. For more about OCLB or to share information, please contact parentvolunteer@....