IDEA Weekly Update - Reactions To Senate Appointment Of Conferees

  • DLewis0991@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2004

      OUR CHILDREN LEFT BEHIND
      ** WHAT YOU CAN DO RIGHT NOW **

      OCTOBER 1-3, 2004

      IDEA WEEKLY UPDATE - REACTIONS TO SENATE APPOINTMENT OF CONFEREES

      As you’ll recall, last week the Senate announced its appointment of the entire Senate HELP committee as conferees, setting the stage for a conference committee to convene on IDEA reauthorization. The House was expected to name its conferees shortly thereafter, but at this point no such announcement has been made. This could change at any time, so stay tuned!

      The big news last week interrupted our Primer series – but a new installment (the third on the critical topic of Discipline), will be available shortly! Please check back next week to read about Discipline on our
      Home page! Meanwhile, if you haven’t already, please read our Home page article from last week, setting forth OCLB’s Guiding Principles for this IDEA reauthorization, and please check out our recently updated “What You Can Do Right Now” link to find out how you can help!

      On our
      Breaking News page this week, we have reactions from several major groups to the news of the Senate’s appointment of conferees. We have excerpts from the NASBE Federal Update and the AUCD Legislative News In Brief. We also have an important Action Alert from NDSS – please read this one and consider taking action as detailed in this alert!

      We have more reactions to the big news on
      The Grapevine. Take a look at the IDEA update from Bev Johns, a parent advocate. Then read the "Protest!” piece by Dee Alpert, detailing the valuable data that is being withheld from the public by the USDOE’s Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP), at a time when this data could be very useful to those of us fighting to save IDEA.

      Our
      Message Board was sure busy this week – lots of folks writing in! We have a visitor’s sample letter incorporating our Guiding Principles, a different visitor’s sample letters to the editor, and yet another visitor shared with us his responses to the House Web site webform and his sample letter to the House and Senate Committees working on IDEA. Please check these out and use them as a springboard for your own work! We also had a visitor write in saying, “I Want to Do More!” – well, take a look at our site this week, and you’ll find plenty of ideas on how you can help! (We’ve also posted a response to this posting directly on the Message Board.)

      Finally, on our
      Message Board this week, we’ve posted a tribute to Tricia and Calvin Luker, two of the most dedicated, tireless parent volunteers we’ve ever met! They’re too modest to tell you that they were recently honored by Exceptional Parent magazine for their work, so we tell you in our tribute. Please read it to learn more about these wonderful people who are working so hard to help our kids!

      That’s it for this week – please check back next week, and have a great weekend!

      Sandy Strassman Alperstein, today's
      parentvolunteer@...

      ©2004 Our Children Left Behind.

      Our Children Left Behind [OCLB] was created and is owned/operated by parent volunteers (Shari Krishnan, Tricia & Calvin Luker, Sandy Strassman Alperstein, and Debi Lewis). Permission to forward, copy, and/or post this article is granted provided that it is unedited and attributed to the author(s) and www.ourchildrenleftbehind.com. For more about OCLB or to share information, please contact parentvolunteer@....