Update to state by state restraint/seclusion information- pls share!

  • Sandy Alperstein
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4 3:59 PM
      This update is courtesy of Jess Butler:

      Just wanted to let folks know about my new publication My State’s Seclusion & Restraint Laws: Brief Summaries Of State Seclusion And Restraint Laws And Policies (Autism National Committee) It summarizes key features of each state's laws on restraint/seclusion, http://bit.ly/MyStatSRL or http://www.autcom.org/pdf/MyStateRestraintSeclusionLaws.pdf . This report contains an updated subset of information from How Safe is the Schoolhouse? An Analysis of State Restraint and Seclusion Laws, http://bit.ly/RSStatelaw or http://www.autcom.org/pdf/HowSafeSchoolhouse.pdf . My State is the resource to use to quickly look how most major issues are handled in up your state or one you advocate for families in. How Safe is the Schoolhouse remains the resource to use to compare and contrast states, see how various states handle an issue, get information and data on why that issue is important, see maps and charts summarizing the states globally, and to get information on more specific issues. There is also a brief national summary at the beginning of My State that contains updated information because a few states took action this summer. Both reports will be updated again in the Fall or Winter; I try to update them twice a year.

      Both publications are on AutCom's website, www.autcom.org and at the links above.

      Please feel free to share and distribute with others.

      Sandy Alperstein, Illinois
      Twitter: @alpymom
      Volunteer Co-Webmaster, Our Children Left Behind (http://www.ourchildrenleftbehind.com) (special education advocacy volunteers on a national level); Special Kids, Special Families (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/specialkidsspecialfamilies) (volunteers providing support, education, and advocacy for families with special needs in the NW suburban Chicago area)