Restraint/seclusion update - please read and share campaign to end the abuse!

  • Sandy Alperstein
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2013
      TAKE ACTION: CONTACT YOUR MEMBER OF CONGRESS
      Every student deserves to learn and grow in a safe, supportive environment, yet each day children across the U.S. continue to be subjected to restraint and seclusion abuse. We can do more to protect our kids, and we can start by advocating for federal policy that puts an end to restraint and seclusion abuse.
      As a partner organization of the Stop Hurting Kids campaign, Our Children Left Behind is asking you to contact your congressperson in the U.S. House of Representatives with a simple message: stop hurting kids. It takes just minutes to make a difference, and you can do it right from the Stop Hurting Kids campaign website at http://stophurtingkids.com.
      We’re reaching out to members of the House because HR 1893 – known as the Keeping All Students Safe Act – has already been introduced, and has a chance of being included as an amendment to the Elementary and Secondary Education Act. All it takes is for Congress to vote “yes” to include this amendment, and the provisions outlined in the bill will be included in the House’s version of ESEA.
      What You Can Do …
      Contact your member of Congress to urge them to vote yes to include the Keeping All Students Safe Act as an amendment to the Elementary and Secondary Education Act. You can visit the Stop Hurting Kids website or send a message from the campaign’s Facebook page at http://stophurtingkids.com/fbcongress.
      A sample message is included at the Stop Hurting Kids website, along with additional information about HR 1893 – the Keeping All Students Safe Act – and other resources.
      We also invite you to share your personal experiences with us and we have been posting collections of these stories on the Stop Hurting Kids campaign blog. If you email your stories to us at tluker@... we will forward them to the campaign blog for inclusion. If you haven’t already, you may see the campaign blog here: http://stophurtingkids.com/tag/share-your-story/
      Please help us end restraint/seclusion and abuse of children in our nation’s public schools. The children need your voice.
      Sandy Alperstein, Illinois
      Twitter: @alpymom
      Volunteer Co-Webmaster, Our Children Left Behind (http://www.ourchildrenleftbehind.com) (special education advocacy volunteers on a national level); Special Kids, Special Families (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/specialkidsspecialfamilies) (volunteers providing support, education, and advocacy for families with special needs in the NW suburban Chicago area)