NDSC/APRAIS update on federal restraint/seclusion legislation

  • Sandy Alperstein
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2013
      NDSC and other APRAIS Members Meet on Abuse in Schools
      Susan Goodman, Director of Governmental Affairs for NDSC, and other representatives of APRAIS, (the Alliance to Prevent Restraint, Aversive Interventions and Seclusion) met recently with representatives from the U.S. Department of Education and the Department of Justice to explore ways to curb abusive practices against students with disabilities in schools.
      The representatives from these agencies expressed a great deal of support for APRAIS's agenda and a desire to see practices prevented and ended. Recently, we met with staff of the Senate and the House of Representatives about the reintroduction of the Keeping All Students Safe Act, a bill that would prohibit the use of restraint and seclusion in schools, except in truly dangerous situations.
      We will continue the dialogue with Members of Congress and agency representatives to advance our goal of the banning the use of these practices. Parents who want to share their experiences with the use of these practices against their child are encouraged to contact susan@....
      Sandy Alperstein, Illinois
      Twitter: @alpymom
      Volunteer Co-Webmaster, Our Children Left Behind (http://www.ourchildrenleftbehind.com) (special education advocacy volunteers on a national level); Special Kids, Special Families (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/specialkidsspecialfamilies) (volunteers providing support, education, and advocacy for families with special needs in the NW suburban Chicago area)