Fwd: Changes to ESEA in Your State Could Impact Your Child's Education

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2012

      Sandy, Illinois
      Volunteer Co-Webmaster, Our Children Left Behind (http://www.ourchildrenleftbehind.com) (special education advocacy volunteers)

      -----Original Message-----
      From: National Center for Learning Disabilities <Do.Not.Reply@...>
      To: alpy2 <alpy2@...>
      Sent: Mon, Jan 23, 2012 1:34 pm
      Subject: Changes to ESEA in Your State Could Impact Your Child's Education

      National Center for Learning Disabilities
        Donate | LD.org
       Action Alert:
      Changes to ESEA in Your State Could Impact Your Child's Education

      Happy New Year!

      Today, I am writing to share crucial information about activities underway in the U.S. Department of Education (USED). Your voice matters in the fight to make a difference for our kids; we need your help today!

      As the year unfolds, I’ll be with you every step of the way to keep you updated on events in order to protect the rights of our nation’s 5.8 million students with disabilities, almost half of whom have LD. Please continue reading to learn more about what you can do. The 2012 year promises to be a busy year for parents and advocates of students with learning disabilities (LD)!

      BACKGROUND

      On September 23, 2011, USED introduced an ESEA Flexibility Program which allows states to waive certain key accountability and funding allocation requirements of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA formerly referred to as NCLB, the No Child Left Behind Act). In exchange for these waivers, states must provide certain assurances that are supposed to improve academic achievement for all students.

      Eleven states submitted requests for this new flexibility on Nov. 14, 2011:  Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.

      In mid-February, many more states will submit requests to USED, including Arkansas, Arizona, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.

      In developing these requests, states must seek input from diverse communities and stakeholders, including those who represent the interest of students with disabilities. States are required to include evidence of their efforts to engage the public with their application. The following statement, from the USED official document on ESEA Flexibility, makes the requirement very clear:

      “Each SEA (State Dept. of Education) must provide a description of how the SEA meaningfully engaged and solicited input on its request from teachers and their representatives.  Each SEA must also provide a description of how the SEA meaningfully engaged and solicited input on its request from other diverse communities, such as students, parents, community-based organizations, civil rights organizations, organizations representing students with disabilities and English Learners, business organizations, and Indian tribes.”
      Source: ESEA Flexibility, U.S. Dept. of Education, September 23, 2011

      However, as we reviewed the requests submitted in November we saw a major lack of meaningful engagement with local organizations that represent students with disabilities. In fact, NCLD considers this lack of engagement and input to be so serious that we joined other disability advocacy organizations to express our concern in a letter to US ED Secretary Arne Duncan.

      NCLD also expressed additional concerns in its own letter to US ED Secretary Arne Duncan. This letter  sought to highlight several additional areas of concern beyond the lack of engagement.

      WHAT YOU CAN DO

      If your state submitted an ESEA Flexibility Request in November of 2011, or if your state plans to submit a request in February 2012, please get involved in reviewing and commenting on your state’s application. Here are ways to get involved:
      Together we can help ensure that changes made to your state’s school accountability system via ESEA Flexibility Requests maintain full and open accountability for students with disabilities and protect the academic progress we’ve seen in the past decade.

      Thank you for your continued advocacy on behalf of students with learning disabilities.

      Sincerely,

      Laura Kaloi
      Public Policy Director

      ADDITIONAL RESOURCES