Need stories of parents who can't afford expert witness fees for DP hearings

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2011
      Seeking Stories of Parents who can't afford expert witnesses for Congress

      We are seeking stories about parents who could not afford expert witnesses for IDEA due process hearings to share with members of Congress.
      Advocates are working in support of a Congressional bill that would enable parents to recover expert witness fees for IDEA due process hearings and cases. But in 2006, the Supreme Court held in Arlington Central School District v. Murphy that parents could not be reimbursed for expert witness fees in IDEA cases--a right that other plaintiffs have in ADA and Title VII cases.  Without experts, parents and students with disabilities have little chance of success in due process hearings, and poor and middle-income families suffer the most.  We are looking for parents who would be willing to share their stories about being unable to afford expert witnesses with members of Congress.  These could be families who were unable to go to a  due process hearing because they could not afford expert witnesses.  They could be parents who went to due process but their case suffered badly without expert witnesses. They could also be parents whom the school district took to a due process hearing, but they could not afford expert witnesses who could help them defend themselves.  The parents' stories will ultimately be shared with members of Congress.    Please contact Jessica Butler, Congressional Affairs Coordinator, Autism National Committee, at jessica@... if you have helpful stories or if you would like more information about this project.

      Sandy, Illinois (alpy2@...)
      Our Children Left Behind (http://www.ourchildrenleftbehind.com)