No Traps for Kids

  • pluker4856
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2010
      NO TRAPS FOR KIDS

      Last week, Our Children Left Behind [OCLB] returned to the blogosphere in support of providing information to self-advocates, parents, family members and professionals on the restraint/seclusion legislation currently moving through Congress. OCLB supports federal legislation that prohibits the use of restraint/seclusion in our nation's schools, especially as a planned intervention in a child's individualized education program [IEP]. We have returned to work on this critical life and death issue for our children.

      We begin our new chapter with renewed spirit and energy buoyed by our new team members. We are excited to introduce them to you and for you to get to know them. Click this link for more information.

      Today's cartoon is provided by Michael Igafo-Te'o, one of our new OCLB team members and a 10th grade student. Michael is a natural cartoonist and has given us great joy with his vision. His mother, Jackie, asked Michael after he had drawn his cartoon "Why didn't you have the mousetrap come across the mouse's belly?" Michael responded that, "He didn't want to severely injure the mouse." His spirit shows through the cartoon and reminds us all that above everything else, we do not want our children hurt.

      We look forward to providing you with timely and current information about the restraint/seclusion legislation pending in Congress. We invite you all to share your thoughts, your stories and your hopes for the legislation with us over the coming weeks. We are convinced that our children remain in peril as long as restraint/seclusion is used in schools. It is going to take ALL of us to stop these dangerous and inhumane practices.

      Calvin and Tricia Luker
      www.ourchildrenleftbehind.com
      Copyright 2010 by Calvin and Tricia Luker. Permission to forward, copy and post this article is granted so long as it is attributed to the authors and www.ourchildrenleftbehind.com