Restraints & Seclusion Bill - Senate Action Alert:National Call-In Day Tues 4/13
- This alert is courtesy of the National Council on Learning Disabilities - please share!The United States House of Representatives passed H.R. 4247, the Keeping All Students Safe Act (H.R. 4247) by a vote of 262 to 153 on March 3, 2010.
The next step in the legislative process now rests with members of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pension (HELP) Committee. The cooperation of these individuals, along with the help of all Senators, is needed to move the House bill's counterpart, S. 2860, out of the Senate HELP committee and on to final passage.
To help make this proposed legislation a reality and provide minimum federal standards to protect all students — including students with learning and other disabilities – from harsh treatment in public schools — I'm asking you to join us in a National Call-In Day on Tuesday, April 13, 2010.
On Tuesday, parents and advocates across the country will ban together to tell their Senators to support the Preventing Harmful Restraint and Seclusion in Schools Act, S.2860, introduced in December 2009 by Senator Chris Dodd (D-CT). This legislation would provide students with and without disabilities vital protections against abuse in schools. Encourage your friends, family and coworkers to participate, too!
What you can do on April 13th:
- Find the names of your U.S. Senators.
- Call the Capitol Switchboard at 202.224.3121 and ask for the offices of your U.S. Senators
- Ask to speak to the person working on education issues
- Identify yourself as a constituent and the organization that you represent (if any)
- Request the Senator to support "The Preventing Harmful Restraint and Seclusion in Schools Act" — S. 2860
What to say when you call:
"I am calling to urge (Senator's name) to support S.2860, legislation preventing harmful use of restraint and seclusion in schools."
Be sure to follow-up with an email message to reiterate your request for support. Submit your message via your Senators' Web form.
Please call on April 13, 2010, and tell your friends and family to join this effort to keep America’s schoolchildren safe.Sandy, Illinois (alpy2@...)
Volunteer Co-Webmaster, Our Children Left Behind (http://www.ourchildrenleftbehind.com) (IDEA & NCLB reauthorization)