MEDICAID WAIVER

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2009

      Although OCLB is devoted to issues surrounding IDEA reauthorization (and, as it affects students with disabilities, also NCLB reauthorization), we do now and then like to post information of a more general nature affecting families and students with disabilities.  In that spirit, we are posting this off topic item.

      Posted by request of a reader, whose son is fortunate to benefit from the Medicaid Waiver:

      Hello Everyone,
      I am writing once again to ask you to support the next round of voting
      on my Idea for Change on Change.org.  If you voted the first time,
      please go back and vote again.

      NEW ROUND OF VOTING BEGINS MONDAY, JANUARY 5 TO ASK FOR FULL FUNDING
      FOR MEDICAID WAIVERS - AND TO CREATE PORTABILITY OF SERVICES

      VOTE NOW - OR VOTE AGAIN IF YOU DID BEFORE!
      http://www.change.org/ideas/view/fully_fund_medicaid_waivers_for_the_developmentally_disabled

      1804 people voted to help fully fund the medicaid waiver program in
      the first round of voting on Ideas for
      America on Change.org.  This
      level of voting put us in the top 3 of the health care category, which
      has given us a place in the final voting process to be one of the Top
      10 Ideas for
      America.

      It is time to vote again - or vote for the first time if you didn't
      vote before.  All votes from round one have been deleted - you must
      return to vote again.  Go to the link above to vote.

      The proposal is for this funding to be included in the economic
      stimulus package that will soon be developed by the Obama
      administration.  Funding medicaid waivers creates jobs while helping
      those who need the supports.

      IMPORTANT NOTE:  MAKE CERTAIN YOUR VOTE REGISTERS.  YOU MUST CLICK ON
      THE NUMBER TO THE LEFT OF THE TITLE THAT SAYS "VOTE" UNDER IT IN ORDER
      TO HAVE YOUR VOTE ACTUALLY COUNT.  ONCE YOU HAVE DONE THAT, IT WILL
      SAY "VOTED".  REGISTERING ON THE SITE AND ENTERING A COMMENT DOES NOT
      COUNT AS A VOTE!   WE LOST ABOUT 1/3 OF OUR VOTES IN THE LAST ROUND
      THIS WAY!

      If we make it to the Top 10, Change.org will:
      On January 16th, Change.org will co-host an event at the National
      Press Club in
      Washington, DC to announce the top 10 rated ideas and
      our plans for supporting the formation of a national advocacy campaign
      behind each idea in collaboration with our nonprofit partners. The top
      10 ideas will also be presented to President Obama on inauguration day.

      Please distribute this email widely to your contacts and all
      membership organizations.

      Last day of voting:  January 15.

      Renee Beauregard
      Idea Poster