NCLD Action Alert re: NCLB Recess until Reauthorization Act

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2008

      Again, we have not had a chance to review this issue in detail, but we wanted to pass along this action alert from the National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD) regarding the proposed NCLB Recess until Reauthorization Act.

      FROM THE NATIONAL CENTER FOR LEARNING DISABILITIES (NCLD):

      The NCLB Recess until Reauthorization Act (H.R. 6239) calls for the suspension of the accountability provisions of the No Child Left Behind Act for the 2008-2009 school year or until Congress reauthorizes the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965.

      Congress is developing legislation to revise the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.  Any changes to NCLB's accountability system should be made in the context of a comprehensive reauthorization by the appropriate Congressional committees.

      Putting a stop to current accountability requirements will have negative consequences for students with disabilities because these requirements make it impossible for schools to overlook the academic progress for all students — especially those with special needs.

      While the timing of the reauthorization is unclear, we cannot take the chance of losing any of the gains we have made for students with disabilities that is why you need to help us fight this bill.

      I ask you to take a few minutes of your time today to let your representative in Washington hear your opinion on this bill. Visit our Legislative Action Center to learn more about this important issue, then TAKE ACTION by sending a message to your U.S. Representative today.

      Thank you for your continued support on behalf of those with learning disabilities.  Your voice always makes a difference!

      Sincerely,

      Laura Kaloi
      Director of Public Policy
      National Center for Learning Disabilities

      Sandy, Illinois (alpy2@...)
      Volunteer Webmaster, www.OurChildrenLeftBehind.com (IDEA & NCLB reauthorization)