NICHCY IDEA Training Module Available - the IEP

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2007
      Greetings from NICHCY, the National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities. We’d like to welcome in the holiday season by launching another training module on our nation’s special education law, the IDEA. This newest offering focuses on the crown jewel of special education: the individualized education program (IEP). Posted today, Content of the IEP (Module 13) is available on our Web site at:

      http://www.nichcy.org/training/contents.asp

      Each public school child with a disability who receives special education and related services must have an IEP, a document that schools and families develop together. The process of developing this vital document is the subject of many of IDEA’s provisions and, as such, is of great interest and importance to educators, administrators, and families alike. Module 13 looks in detail at the IEP’s purpose and what type of information it must contain.

      This module is one of five on the IEP. We’ve previously released The IEP Team: Who’s a Member? (Module 12), Meetings of the IEP Team (Module 14), and Children with Disabilities Enrolled by Their Parents in Private Schools (Module 16), all of which can be found online at the address given above. Next week, we hope to release the fifth module: LRE Decision Making. So you’ll be hearing from us again very soon!

      One last news alert: NICHCY has also just released a new Evidence for Education brief, Assessment and Accommodations. If you’re involved in teaching or assessing students with disabilities, then this publication is for you! It examines what the research has to say about providing students with disabilities with accommodations that support learning as well as their ability to show what they know and can do. Find Assessment and Accommodations online at:

      http://research.nichcy.org/accommodations1.asp

      We hope you’ll find these new resources helpful in your work or personal life. As always, please feel free to call or email us with your disability-related concerns, or visit our Web site, at: www.nichcy.org.

      NICHCY
      P.O. Box 1492
      Washington, DC 20013
      1.800.695.0285 (V/TTY)