Another NICHCY IDEA 2004 Training Module Available (Basics of Special Education)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2007
      Here’s the latest news: As promised, NICHCY has just posted another training module online for the Building the Legacy training curriculum on IDEA, our nation’s special education law. It’s another biggie!

      Module 1, The Top 10 Basics of Special Education
      http://www.nichcy.org/training/contents.asp#ThemeA

      This module is divided into three sections so that trainers can flexibly address the needs of different audiences. The first two sections are intended for participants who are not very familiar with IDEA but who want or need an overview of the special education process. Ten basic steps in special education are described, and five key acronyms are explained: IDEA, FAPE, IEP, LRE, and TA&D. Section 3 (provided in separate discussion and PowerPoint files) is designed for more advanced audiences and those who seek a more indepth understanding of how IDEA defines five critical terms: child with a disability, special education, related services, supplementary aids and services, and transition services.

      The module includes PowerPoint slide shows to use in training sessions, a detailed discussion of IDEA for trainers, and handouts for audience participants.

      Note: If you recently heard from us about the posting of Module 2 (Overview of Key Changes in IDEA 2004), you’ll want to know that the handouts file for Theme A now includes the handouts for Module 1, too. We regret the inconvenience, but you’ll have to download Theme A’s handouts again. If you haven’t gotten around to downloading Module 2 yet, though, this is definitely one instance where procrastination pays off!

      We hope you’ll find these training resources helpful in your work or personal life. As always, please feel free to call or email us with your disability-related concerns, or visit our Web site, at: www.nichcy.org.

      NICHCY
      P.O. Box 1492
      Washington, DC 20013
      1.800.695.0285 (V/TTY)
      nichcy@...
      www.nichcy.org

      Sandy, Illinois
      Volunteer Co-Webmaster, Our Children Left Behind (http://www.ourchildrenleftbehind.com)

      Get a sneak peak of the all-new AOL.com.