NCLB Reauthorization - families' voices will need to be heard

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2007
      Hi all. Here's an example of a recent Live Chat regarding the NCLB reauthorization. Note that teachers unions were invited to air their thoughts and concerns.  We were thinking that it's time families starting writing to Ed Week (as well as our own local news media sources) so that our voices are not drowned out by those of the teachers' unions, school administrators, etc.  While all stakeholder groups have something valuable to bring to the table, it seems that families' input is not always solicited.  Let's start collectively thinking about what matters to us, and then start putting it out there.  Thanks!

      Live Chat
      Union Influence on NCLB

      When: Thursday, April 19, 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. Eastern time
      Where:    href="http://enews.edweek.org/GoNow/a15864a164787a159069131a4">http://ene
      ws.edweek.org/GoNow/a15864a164787a159069131a4

      Please join us for this live Web chat to talk about how the nation's
      top two
      teachers' unions, the National Education Association and the American
      Federation
      of Teachers, are trying to influence the reauthorization of the No
      Child Left
      Behind Act.

      The National Education Association has been a staunch critic of the
      5-year-old
      law, maintaining that it is an unfunded mandate with unattainable
      student-achievement goals. The American Federation of Teachers has
      argued that
      the law’s goals of raising achievement were sound, but that its
      policies need
      revising.

      Our featured guests are officials from the NEA and the AFT, who will
      address
      questions related to the unions' role in reauthorization of NCLB, what
      changes
      their organizations see as necessary to improve the law, and the impact
      such
      changes could have on teachers across the country.

      Guests:
      Joel Packer, chief NCLB lobbyist for the NEA
      Antonia Cortese, executive vice president for the AFT

      For background, read these <em>Education Week</em> stories:

      Views of AFT, NEA on Reauthorization Getting Closer
          href="http://enews.edweek.org/GoNow/a15864a164787a159069131a2">http://ene
      ws.edweek.org/GoNow/a15864a164787a159069131a2

      Changing NCLB Is Top Topic at NEA Convention
          href="http://enews.edweek.org/GoNow/a15864a164787a159069131a1">http://ene
      ws.edweek.org/GoNow/a15864a164787a159069131a1

      Submit questions in advance here:
          href="http://enews.edweek.org/GoNow/a15864a164787a159069131a3">http://ene
      ws.edweek.org/GoNow/a15864a164787a159069131a3

      No special equipment other than Internet access is needed to
      participate in this
      text-based chat. A transcript will be posted shortly after the
      completion of the
      chat.

      Sandy, Illinois
      Volunteer Co-Webmaster, Our Children Left Behind (http://www.ourchildrenleftbehind.com)