NIMAS Final Regulations Are Published

  • sharikrish@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2006
      Many thanks to NICHCY, the National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities, for posting this on their Email list.

      For those on the OCLB Email list, who aren't presently subscribed to NICHCY's, the OCLB team wanted to be sure that you had access to this IDEA-related information.

      Have a nice weekend!

      Warmly,
      Shari Krishnan
      Parent Volunteer
      Our Children Left Behind

      This news flash is just in from the Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP), and we send it on straight to you!

      The Final Regulations for the National Instructional Materials Accessibility Standard (NIMAS) were published yesterday, July 19, 2006 in Part III of the Federal Register. For your convenience, we've posted what appeared in the Federal Register on our Website, at:
      http://www.nichcy.org/reauth/NIMAS-FinalRegs.pdf

      The NIMAS guides the production and electronic distribution of digital versions of textbooks and other instructional materials so they can be more easily converted to accessible formats, including Braille and text-to-speech. If you'd like to learn more about NIMAS, here are two resources that will launch you right into the heart of the matter.

      The TA Center on NIMAS.
      http://nimas.cast.org/
      The Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) has funded two national centers to further develop and implement the NIMAS. Visit the link above to delve into the what, how, where, and when of NIMAS and what it means for children with disabilities.

      From the feds.
      http://www.nichcy.org/reauth/tb-accessibility.pdf
      This document, entitled National Instructional Materials Accessibility Standard, is one in a series on IDEA 2004 prepared by the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS) in the U.S. Department of Education. This document identifies new provisions within IDEA 2004 regarding NIMAS.

      Best wishes to you---

      NICHCY
      P.O. Box 1492
      Washington, DC 20013