Commission on No Child Left Behind

  • sharikrish@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2006
      Dear OCLB List Members,

      When IDEA reauthorization was going on, we kept hearing, "Where are the parents?"

      No Child Left Behind (NCLB/ESEA) will also be going through the reauthorization process. The team at OCLB is asking that parents be proactive in this process.

      We are hearing that many family members are not as comfortable discussing or writing their views on NCLB as they were with IDEA reauthorization.

      Please, don't let that stop you from commenting on this Web site (listed below my signature line) AND with your Senators and Representatives of Congress in Washington, D.C. NOW!  Parents can communicate very well, since we speak in familiar terms that many can understand. We also bring the "results" of education processes to life when we tell our stories.  We hold the qualitative data and "evidence"...our children and their lives...in front of us, in our very own homes.

      Fellow parents, we know what works for our children. We usually know what the good times should look like. We also know what concerns us most about education. We know what needs to be done to fix the system for our kids.  Just be brave, move forward, share your stories, and give suggestions of what to needs to continue and what needs to be fixed.

      We need as many of our voices to be represented as possible.  Nobody is going to do it for us...we already learned that lesson!

      Thank you, everyone, for your consideration of this very important matter. Let's reunite for a bright future for our children and be strong!

      Warmly,
      Shari Krishnan

      ### Start of Commission Announcement###

      Secretary Tommy G. Thompson and Governor Roy E. Barnes
      Announce

      Commission on No Child Left Behind

      Bi-partisan Commission to Offer Recommendations to
      Congress and Administration for Reauthorization

      Washington DC- Today former Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy G. Thompson and former Georgia Governor Roy E. Barnes unveiled the bi-partisan independent Commission on No Child Left Behind.   Congress is scheduled to begin reauthorization of the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) in 2007 and over the next 12 to 18 months the Commission will conduct a high level, independent and bipartisan analysis of NCLB. “In 2001, President Bush and Republicans and Democrats in Congress came together to develop the No Child Left Behind Act.  It is time for us to join together once again to ensure that our Nation continues to close the achievement gap,” said Secretary Thompson.

      “The Commission wants to hear from America on how the No Child Left Behind Act affects their lives,” said Governor Barnes.  “Only with this input can we effectively strengthen the law.”

      The Commission will use several means to gather information and public input for its recommendations. This includes hosting five national hearings focusing on teachers, assessments, accountability, and sanctions and incentives.  Another key element in the Commission's efforts will be its website:  www.nclbcommission.org. This website provides the general public, educators, policymakers and researchers with background information on the No Child Left Behind Act; updates on Commission activities such as future hearings and reports; and State by State academic achievement data.  A special feature of this website is its interactivity which allows users to submit their concerns, ideas and thoughts about NCLB directly to the Commission.  Lastly, the Commission staff will issue a series of white papers that highlight key NCLB policy issues.  These papers will be available on the Commission website.

      Housed at the Aspen Institute, the Commission is funded by some of the top education foundations in the Nation, including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, Carnegie Corporation of New York , and the Spencer Foundation.

      The Commission on No Child Left Behind is funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, the Joyce Foundation, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, Carnegie Corporation of New York , and the Spencer Foundation. This document is published to communicate the results of the Commission’s work. The findings, interpretations, and conclusions expressed in the Commission’s documents are entirely those of the author(s) and should not be attributed in any manner to the donors.

      ###End of Commission Announcement###