Supporting Our Children With Special Needs

  • DLewis0991@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2005

      "Supporting Our Children With Special Needs"

      e are looking for volunteers and collaborating with Disability Organizations and Government Agencies to work with families that have special needs children?  We will be providing support and assistance to these families now and in the future as needed in DFW, Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio and other areas throughout the state of Texas and other states affected by Katrina's destruction.  We are working with individuals, organizations and agencies across the country.
      These children have very complex needs.  The families will need ongoing support from other families, professionals and volunteers with personal knowledge of the difficulties that come from caring for children, adolescents and young adults with all types of disabilities.  We are setting up host families to share housing, identifying children that have been separated from their parents or orphaned, family liaisons, professionals in all areas working with those with disabilities, mentors for the kids like Big Brothers and Big Sisters, help with coordination efforts, locating family members of those evacuated and separated, etc.
      Everyone can do something - everyone has expertise!  This will be a very long term need and a few folks are only going to be able to do so much.  We need a large group to help with this effort.  We are asking for volunteers and compiling lists of families displaced by Katrina that are in need of support.  Even those who are not able to physically be there for the children can forward this request for volunteers to everyone they know and help from afar.
      Volunteers can email or call:
      Amy A. Sosa by email asosa@... or amy.sosa@... or by calling 469-358-7347.   With all the calls we are receiving, please leave a message if you call and get voice mail.  We have had an awesome response from families and professionals in all areas of the United States.
      They should leave their name, phone number or other means to contact them, email address if available and purpose of their call.  They will be contacted as soon as possible by one of our coordinators.
      We greatly appreciate your assistance in getting the word out to those families in need and those that wish to volunteer.   PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH OTHERS!
      Thank you,
      Amy A. Sosa, Principal Consultant