Warmest Wishes and a Very Happy Thanksgiving

  • DLewis0991@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2004

      OUR CHILDREN LEFT BEHIND
      ** WHAT YOU CAN DO RIGHT NOW **

      NOVEMBER 25, 2004

      WARMEST WISHES AND A VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OF YOU!

      The team members from Our Children Left Behind would like to extend our warmest wishes to all of you who fought for the rights of children with disabilities. This has been a very long road, yet the time seemed to pass quickly with you at our sides.

      This week our team has been taking some time to reflect, to synthesize what we have learned, and to discuss how everything that has happened will inform what will come next. We were also curious about where we were one year ago today at Thanksgiving time. And you know, our archived Home page from last Thanksgiving still applies today! Because it says so much about how we feel right now, we thought we’d share it with you by pasting it below our signature line.

      All of you have done incredible work, and we all know that no one will ever ask again, “Where are the parents?” We are here, working together, forging new friendships, sharing the work, and celebrating even the smallest gains.

      For all of this, we are grateful.

      Have a lovely day. We’ll be thinking of you.

      Warmly,

      The Our Children Left Behind Team

      Shari Krishnan
      Sandy Alperstein
      Calvin and Tricia Luker
      Debi Lewis

      All of us are today's
      parentvolunteer@...!

      NOVEMBER 25, 2003

      GIVING THANKS TO THOSE WHO LOVE AND SERVE OUR CHILDREN

      While we continue to fight to preserve the rights of children with disabilities during this IDEA reauthorization, there are local heroes who just seem to naturally protect our children’s rights each and every day. This page is dedicated to those incredible people.

      We want to thank school staff members who share their selfless capacity to genuinely care for our students. It is because you that many parents are able to embody the gift of true vision. The vision of what a good school day can look like for our children. The vision of what professionalism really represents in practice. The vision of what an outstanding school experience can be when adults open their hearts wide and freely explore educational possibilities in different ways with our children. You know who you are. You are the ones who love your work, even during the most trying times.

      We want to thank our local vendors, restaurants, libraries, shopping centers, fitness centers, and other businesses for turning their initial stares and glares, so obviously directed at our children, into repeated smiles, laughter, and friendly chats that are something to look forward to. You make us feel like real neighbors when you do that with our children. We feel like a bigger part of the community because of it.

      We want to thank our legislators and their staff. We enjoy talking to the ones who pick up the phone and welcome our calls and e-mail messages. (Sometimes we even get one or more initiated by you!) It is a treat to chat with someone willing to learn and understand what our lives represent to our children and to us. We are proud that you are working to represent all of America’s people.

      Lastly, we want to thank our family and friends who have supported us on our journeys with our children. We appreciate your love. We cherish each moment that you play with our children. We appreciate your willingness to understand why we (the nice people that we typically are) can be militant when our children need us to be. We feel safe laughing and crying with you.

      What would we do without all of you? We are so very grateful.

      Happy Thanksgiving!

      Shari Krishnan
      Sandy Alperstein
      Calvin and Tricia Luker
      Debi Lewis
      parentvolunteer@...

      ©2004 Our Children Left Behind.

      Our Children Left Behind [OCLB] was created and is owned/operated by parent volunteers (Shari Krishnan, Tricia & Calvin Luker, Sandy Strassman Alperstein, and Debi Lewis). Permission to forward, copy, and/or post this article is granted provided that it is unedited and attributed to the author(s) and www.ourchildrenleftbehind.com. For more about OCLB or to share information, please contact parentvolunteer@....