Black Wednesday: November 17, 2004

  • OCLBinfo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2004

      OUR CHILDREN LEFT BEHIND
      ** WHAT YOU CAN DO RIGHT NOW **

      NOVEMBER 15, 2004

      BLACK WEDNESDAY: NOVEMBER 17, 2004
      PLEASE WEAR YOUR BLACK RIBBONS!

      The time has come. Many families and advocates have had a sleepless weekend since receiving last week's notice announcing the conference meeting that will be held Wednesday, November 17, 2004 at 2:30 p.m. in Room 2175 of the Rayburn House Office Building in Washington, D.C. For more detailed information, see:
      p078.ezboard.com/fourchildrenleftbehindfrm14.showMessage?topicID=198.topic.
      Our e-mail inboxes have been overflowing with messages of concern for the future of students with disabilities.

      What has been so frustrating has been all of the damaging misinformation that has been shared with the public and press by this Congress throughout the reauthorization process. It is absolutely impossible to fathom why our elected officials would purposely do something that has the potential to harm the lives of over 6.5 million children.

      This is why many of us are calling November 17, 2004, "Black Wednesday" and will be wearing black armbands and black ribbons to signify the dark days ahead for many of our students.

      Parents from across the country are heading to Washington, D.C. and invite you to join them. Please read the messages posted on our IDEA Reauthorization Message Board from the Autism Society of Hawaii's Naomi Grossman.

      Naomi Grossman's invitation to use her room at the Omni Shoreham as a "nerve center":
      p078.ezboard.com/fourchildrenleftbehindfrm2.showMessage?topicID=206.topic

      If anyone else has confirmed meetings planned, please post them on the Our Children Left Behind Message Board located at p078.ezboard.com/fourchildrenleftbehindfrm2. Feel free to share this link and encourage others to post as well. Keep coming back to look at the Message Board to see what our heroes are reporting from the Hill this week.

      We will also be posting Breaking News at p078.ezboard.com/fourchildrenleftbehindfrm14 throughout the week. Additionally, if you are not able to go to Washington, D.C., it is important to remind the Conference Committee Members of what is important to you. The list of Conferees is pasted below the signature line for your convenience.

      Many thanks to everyone who came together online this weekend to quickly schedule an event for Wednesday. You are all truly amazing!

      Stay in touch. We will too.

      Shari Krishnan, today's parentvolunteer@...

      ©2004 Our Children Left Behind.

      Our Children Left Behind [OCLB] was created and is owned/operated by parent volunteers (Shari Krishnan, Tricia & Calvin Luker, Sandy Strassman Alperstein, and Debi Lewis). Permission to forward, copy, and/or post this article is granted provided that it is unedited and attributed to the author(s) and www.ourchildrenleftbehind.com. For more about OCLB or to share information, please contact parentvolunteer@....