497CAN STILL CALL/EMAIL TODAY - SUPPORT KEEPING ALL STUDENTS SAFE ACT!

  • Sandy Alperstein
    Jun 13, 2014
      You can still call/email today to protect all kids from abusive restraint/seclusion in schools - please participate and share - thanks!

      June 12, 2014

      Today is National Call-In Day! Help #stopRS

      Action Alert: National Call-In Day | Today, June 12
      Ask Congress to Support Bill to Prevent Dangerous Restraint & Seclusion
      Restraint and Seclusion are practices used in public schools (and schools that receive public funds) that have killed, injured, and traumatized students. More than 20 children have died, according to a Congressional agency report. Nearly 110,000 students were subjected to restraint and seclusion in isolation rooms, according to data from the 2011-12 school year. To prevent these practices and protect students and staff, Senators Tom Harkin and Chris Murphy have introduced the Keeping All Students Safe Act in the Senate (S. 2036) and Representatives George Miller and Gregg Harper have introduced the House bill (H.R. 1893).
      You can find out if your two senators and representative are cosponsoring the Keeping All Students Safe Act by clicking the links below:
      ACT NOW!!
      TODAY (or during this week—)
        • Call your senators today—US capitol Switchboard 202-224-3121—and urge him/her to co-sponsor the KEEPING ALL STUDENTS SAFE ACT, S. 2036. (Leave a voicemail if no one answers).
      Sample Message: “Please co-sponsor the Keeping All Students Safe Act, S.2036, and protect all American students nationwide from restraint and seclusion in our nation’s schools.”
        • Call your representative —US capitol Switchboard 202-224-3121—and ask him/her to co-sponsor the KEEPING ALL STUDENTS SAFE ACT, HR 1893. (Leave a voicemail if no one answers).
      Sample Message: “Please co-sponsor the Keeping All Students Safe Act, S.2036, and protect all American students nationwide from restraint and seclusion in our nation’s schools.”
      • Feel free to add to your message with a personal story, additional information, and your personal commitment to this issue. Suggested points are attached.
      • Ask your friends and family to do the same.
      • Or email Senate and/or House
      Make sure Congress hears from thousands of parents, people with disabilities, students, advocates, professionals, friends, families, and neighbors so they will ACT!
      Get Social!
      Sample Facebook Posts:
      1) Act Now! National Call-In Day is Today (June 12).
      Help keep all students safe at school. Call your senators and representatives today (202-224-3121) and urge them to co-sponsor the Keeping All Students Safe Act S. 2036. Follow the link below to read more http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09719t.pdf or visit https://www.facebook.com/stophurtingkids?ref=hl
      2) The most recent data has shown that at least 70,000 students were subjected to physical restraint; 37,000, to isolated seclusion; and nearly 4,000 to mechanical restraint, for a near total of 111,000 in 2011-12. Help stop restraint and seclusion in our nation’s schools.
      Call your senators and representatives today (202-224-3121) and urge them to co-sponsor the Keeping All Students Safe Act S. 2036. Follow the link below to read more http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09719t.pdf or visit https://www.facebook.com/stophurtingkids?ref=hl
      3) Watch Restraint and Seclusion: Hear Our Stories (http://stophurtingkids.com/the-film/) and act now! Call your senators and representatives today (202-224-3121) and urge them to co-sponsor the Keeping All Students Safe Act S. 2036. Follow the link below to read more http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09719t.pdf or visit https://www.facebook.com/stophurtingkids?ref=hl
      Sample Tweets:
      1) Call your senators and representatives now (202-224-3121) and urge them to co-sponsor the Keeping All Students Safe Act. National Call-In Day is Today (June 12). #stopRS
      2) Call 202-224-3121 and help #stopRS in our nation’s schools. National Call-In Day is Today (June 12)!
      3) Act now! Protect American students from restraint and seclusion in our nation’s schools. Call 202-224-3121 today! #stopRS
      4) Watch film and learn more about restraint and seclusion: http://stophurtingkids.com/the-film/. Call your senator and representatives now (202-224-3121) #stopRS
      FOR MORE INFORMATION

      Sandy Alperstein, Illinois
      Twitter: @alpymom
      Volunteer Co-Webmaster, Our Children Left Behind (http://www.ourchildrenleftbehind.com) (special education advocacy volunteers on a national level); Special Kids, Special Families (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/specialkidsspecialfamilies) (volunteers providing support, education, and advocacy for families with special needs in the NW suburban Chicago area)