493Call-In Day for Keeping All Students Safe Act Thurs, June 12 - please share widely!!

  • Sandy Alperstein
    Jun 2, 2014
      Please read the Action Alert below and forward/post on FB/tweet, etc. AND please call or email your federal legislators on Thursday, June 12 (national call-in day)!  This bill will protect all children from abusive practices such as restraints/seclusion in schools - thanks for your help in spreading the word and calling or emailing - Congress needs to hear from our families, friends, providers, etc.!  Thanks in advance for whatever you can do!

      Sandy

      Sandy Alperstein, Illinois
      Twitter: @alpymom
      Volunteer Co-Webmaster, Our Children Left Behind (http://www.ourchildrenleftbehind.com) (special education advocacy volunteers on a national level); Special Kids, Special Families (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/specialkidsspecialfamilies) (volunteers providing support, education, and advocacy for families with special needs in the NW suburban Chicago area)

      Subject: Keeping All Students Safe National Call in Day - June 12th

      COPAA Logo
      Protecting the Civil Rights of Students with Disabilities and their Families

      Please feel free to share this alert.

      Dear Sandra:

      ACTION ALERT
      ASK CONGRESS TO SUPPORT BILL TO PREVENT DANGEROUS RESTRAINT & SECLUSION
      National Call-In Day, Thursday, June 12th

      Restraint and Seclusion are practices used in public schools that have killed, injured, and traumatized students. More than 20 children have died, according to a Congressional agency report.  At least 107,000 students were subjected to restraint and seclusion in isolation rooms, according to data from the 2011-12 school year. To prevent these practices and protect students and staff, Senators Tom Harkin and Chris Murphy have introduced the Keeping All Students Safe Act in the Senate (S. 2036) and Representatives George Miller and Gregg Harper have introduced the House bill (H.R. 1893).

      GET READY TO ACT!!

      Mark Your Calendars and On June 12
      (or during that week---)
      ·         Call your senators —US capitol Switchboard 202-224-3121—and urge them to co-sponsor the KEEPING ALL STUDENTS SAFE ACT, S. 2036.  (Leave a voicemail if no one answers).
      Sample Message: “Please cosponsor the Keeping All Students Safe Act, S.2036, and protect all American students nationwide from restraint and seclusion in our nation’s schools.”

      ·         Call your Representative (202-224-3121) and ask him/her to COSPONSOR the KEEPING ALL STUDENTS SAFE ACT, HR 1893. (Leave a voicemail if no one answers).
      Sample Message: “Please cosponsor the Keeping All Students Safe Act, S.2036, and protect all American students nationwide from restraint and seclusion in our nation’s schools.”
      ·         Ask your friends and family to do the same.  Send out to all of your networks at the state and national level.
      ·         Or email (Senate: http://1.usa.gov/Senat; House: http://bit.ly/RepWrit ).
      Make sure Congress hears from thousands of parents, people with disabilities, students, advocates, professionals, friends, families, and neighbors so they will ACT!

      Get Social!

      Facebook
      : Act Now! National Call-In Day is June 12th.
      Help keep all students safe at school.  Call your senators and representatives (202-224-3121) and urge them to co-sponsor the Keeping All Students Safe Act S. 2036.

      Follow the link below to read more
      http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09719t.pdf or visit www.facebook.com/stophurtingkids
      Twitter: Call your senators and representatives  (202-224-3121) and urge them to co-sponsor the Keeping All Students Safe Act. National Call-In Day June 12. #stopRS
      FOR MORE INFORMATION
      House Bill H.R. 1893 and House Statement
      Find your Laws in My State’s Seclusion and Restraint Laws

      GAO Report and Education Department Data Snapshot