469Seclusion/Scream Rooms to be Featured on ABC News Shows - Pls Share!

  • Sandy Alperstein
    Nov 12, 2012
      Please watch or DVR, let them know how you feel, and share this alert - thanks!
      A segment about so-called ‘scream rooms,’ isolation rooms used by some schools to deal with unruly children, will be featured on ABC’s “Good Morning America” “World News” and “Nightline” on Tuesday.

      “Good Morning America” starts at 7 a.m., “World News” starts at 6:30 p.m. and “Nightline” begins at 11:35 p.m.

      Websites:
      Good Morning America: http://gma.yahoo.com
      World News Tonight: http://abcnews.go.com/wn
      Sample comment: "People who can't reach and teach do this. Good teachers don't treat children this way!"
      Other sample comments from parents:
      Show me a kid in one of those rooms, and I will show you an educator who doesn't have enough skills to teach.

      Data on the teachers to do this to their students should be kept track of and reported. A red flag should be thrown up for those who use this as commin practice.

      All teacher education programs should include Positive Behavior Support and implementation required at all levels.

      Nobody would be allowed to do this at the grocery store to someone's kid if the are misbehaving, why are educator's permitted to do this?

      I wonder how much schools get paid for NOT teaching kids?

      Do they have a policy for putting educators who behave poorly in one of those rooms?
      GET CREATIVE AND LET THEM KNOW HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT THE USE OF SECLUSION ROOMS IN YOUR CHILD'S SCHOOLS!!

      Sandy Alperstein, Illinois
      Twitter: @alpymom
      Volunteer Co-Webmaster, Our Children Left Behind (http://www.ourchildrenleftbehind.com) (special education advocacy volunteers on a national level); Special Kids, Special Families (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/specialkidsspecialfamilies) (volunteers providing support, education, and advocacy for families with special needs in the NW suburban Chicago area)