Re: Coventry Gig

  • nic.dyo@xxxxxxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 27 9:59 AM
      On Mon 27 Sep 1999 (09:54:17), Chris wrote:

      > Shall we start playing "spot the Otway fan" in the Albany from about
      > seven then? As most of us don't have a clue what each other look like,
      > Otway T-shirts may be an invaluable prop here ;-)

      In my older years I find that T Shirts are what I wear under everything else.
      So to find me you will have to look for the bearded, bespectacled, balding
      (disguised with green Guiness base-ball cap) with pony tail in red (or
      blue)bobble standing close to Chris in Otway T shirt.

      Perhaps we need a secret opening phrase e.g.
      Q. Did you know there is an Otway gig across the road tonight?
      A. Yes.

      If recipiant answers No, they may be persuaded to come along!

      oh well...

      Nic.
      --
      From the RiscPC computer of:
      Nic Sheppard
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 27 10:46 AM
        I have similar problems with shrinking T-shirts and the fact that they are
        not visable from early September until June.
        Maybe we all need some extra large sweatshirts.

        Karen

        PS I'll be the one with the friend who at under thirty is far too young to
        be an Otway fan, where as I am the perfect age (10 days older than Richard)
      • Alex Pearce
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 27 2:57 PM
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 27 11:47 PM
            Hey, I didn't say I'd be wearing an Otway T-shirt - I just thought it might
            be a good idea if everyone else did ;-)))

            I'll be wearing red shoes.

            Chris

            Haiku for the day:

            To convey one's mood
            in seventeen syllables
            is very diffic

            - John Cooper Clarke -

            >> Otway T-shirts may be an invaluable prop here ;-)
            >>
            >In my older years I find that T Shirts are what I wear under everything
            else.
            >So to find me you will have to look for the bearded, bespectacled, balding
            >(disguised with green Guiness base-ball cap) with pony tail in red (or
            >blue)bobble standing close to Chris in Otway T shirt.
          • David Hawkins
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 28 2:08 PM
              I was at John's birthday gig in Coventry last year and I can definitely say it didn't finish at 11.00pm cos I had to leave to catch the last bus at 11 and it was still going strong when I left (didn't even get to sing "who's a lucky birthday boy"), perhaps things could start a tadge earlier this year considering the bus/train situation (I live in hope).

              There are quite a few b&b's near the railway station and if anyones interested I could dig some names out of Yellow Pages for you - let me know.

              For those arriving by train the following directions may be useful: Leave the station by the exit by the Rocket pub (you'll have to ask someone), cross the main road and walk up the next road down (Grovesner Link Rd) follow it through to Westminster Rd at the end turn right into Regent Street then left into Queens Rd. Walk all the way down and at the end you'll see the Technical College in front of you, turn left (Albany Rd) and you'll see the railway bridge a couple of hundred yards up the road. The Albany pub and the Spencer social club are just the other side of the bridge. That sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is, although it will probably take a good 10-15 mins to walk there. Good Luck!

              See you Saturday

              Dave H
            • Julian Porter
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 28 2:15 PM
                David,

                So where in Hope do you live? I live there also, but I've never seen you!!

                Talking of trains, I think someone (Sally?) mentioned that the last train to
                London was 11.04 or something like that. Well, for my sins, I work for a
                part of the railway and have access to the on-line timetable (the thing they
                check if you ring 0345-48-49-50). The last train out of Coventry for London
                Euston is 10.54........

                Sadly it is looking depressingly like I won't make it on Saturday.....so can
                I have my �10 back....no really, it'll be sad to not see the presentation,
                however I look forward to seeing John and Richard using the thing at a
                future gig.

                Have a good time one and all if I can't make it. Does the publican of the
                Albany know you are all descending on his establishment? Best not tell
                him.....

                Regards,

                Julian

                >I was at John's birthday gig in Coventry last year and I can definitely say
                it didn't finish at 11.00pm cos I had to leave to catch the last bus at 11
                and it was still going strong when I left (didn't even get to sing "who's a
                lucky birthday boy"), perhaps things could start a tadge earlier this year
                considering the bus/train situation (I live in hope).

                >There are quite a few b&b's near the railway station and if anyones
                interested I could dig some names out of Yellow Pages for you - let me know.

                >For those arriving by train the following directions may be useful: Leave
                the station by the exit by the Rocket pub (you'll have to ask someone),
                cross the main road and walk up the next road down (Grovesner Link Rd)
                follow it through to Westminster Rd at the end turn right into Regent Street
                then left into Queens Rd. Walk all the way down and at the end you'll see
                the Technical College in front of you, turn left (Albany Rd) and you'll see
                the railway bridge a couple of hundred yards up the road. The Albany pub and
                the Spencer social club are just the other side of the bridge. That sounds a
                lot more complicated than it actually is, although it will probably take a
                good 10-15 mins to walk there. Good Luck!

                >See you Saturday
                >
                >Dave H
                >

                >[Attachments have been removed from this message]
                >
                >>http://www.doremi.co.uk/otway For current Otway live dates.
                >
                >To Unsubscribe send an email to:

              • Bev Chester
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 4, 2001
                  Hi all

                  Just reading about how the Coventry venue has been tarted up - bit of a mistake I think::)))) - I do hope they haven't installed ceiling tiles!!

                  Have fun whoever's going:))) Was that Riga gig really two months ago? sigh ......

                  Best regards
                  Bev

                • mapnala@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 21 7:25 AM
                    A bit late posting this, but it was a wonderful gig last Friday.
                    Murray was complaining that he had to get a coach to the venue...not very
                    'Rock 'n' Roll' is it? He did a great support set, as always though.
                    Otway was brilliant and managed to break the jail bars that were around the
                    stage! Jon Padget had to stand there for the rest of the song holding the bars
                    up and then secured them with gaffer tape! Otway said no-one would notice the
                    difference!! There must be loads of venues up and down the country held
                    together in some way by Jon's temporary repairs!
                    The audience were obviously regular Otway fans, judging by the heckling, but
                    I only recognised two other people there!
                    The venue had no mixers!! I can't drink gin without tonic as it does
                    something horrid to my throat on the way down, so I was forced to drink straight
                    whisky all evening instead. I think this may have something to do with me not
                    remembering very much more about the gig, but I know I really, really enjoyed it
                    and I can't wait until the next one!
                    Many thanks to Otway, Murray and Jon P.!
                    :-)
                    Pam.

                  • Simon Miles
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 22 6:13 PM
                      Enjoyed the new Coventry venue, gig was spoilt slightly by small turn out
                      due to a total lack of any promotion locally (we're use to sell out gigs
                      here ). However the most disturbing part of the night was the mutation of
                      HOTRS with no second verse ("where's your foot ?" etc). I wouldn't normally
                      complain but the same thing happened the week before in Leicester ! I look
                      at it this way, John may have "two bloody hits" but we only have one B-side,
                      so lets hear all of it please !

                    • mapnala@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 23 1:26 AM
                        simon@... writes:

                        > However the most disturbing part of the night was the mutation of
                        > HOTRS with no second verse ("where's your foot ?" etc).

                        Otway probably does this to save the audience embarrassment? When fans are a
                        bit thin on the ground at a venue, the high notes do sound painful!! I have
                        heard him rope Murray in to sing the 'one foot' bit, and as he was there on
                        Friday, I don't know why he didn't do that again. Murray has a great voice for
                        reaching where others can't usually get!

                        :-)
                        Pam

                      • seymour
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 24 8:23 AM
                          Think you'll find that it's different versions of songs for different shows
                          Simon.

                          Otway has some songs that work better with the duo such as middle of winter,
                          that rarely get aired in the band set and some that work better with a full
                          band that are not as good with the duo or solo shows.

                          He also however, has different versions of the same song for different
                          shows, even to the point of playing some songs in different keys for duo and
                          band.

                          It can be fun after John and Richard have been out for a few days to watch
                          them then doing a full band show. They have to switch their brains in to
                          band mode, making sure they hit the correct intros in the correct keys with
                          the right arrangements for the band set, not the duo and it has been known
                          to go slightly awry some times.

                          But then that’s part of the fun. :-)

                          Must be quite difficult to do. I only have to hit one string at a time. It's
                          easy being a bass player. At least that's what the rest of the band tells
                          me...........I hit them very fast though..................and

                          Seymour