Re: New Survey

  • Jane Armstrong
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 1999
      Well I only joined the list yesterday - so Ken's is the only mail I've read
      so far - but I can't imagine any discussion to do with the great John Otway
      being SERIOUS! I sincerely hope not. I joined this list for mindless
      drivel - and if I don't get it I shall unsubscribe!

      A bit about myself if anyone is at all remotely interested.... I had to
      fill in a "Meet and Greet" form for another list a couple of days ago - so
      here it is - slightly modified but with tongue firmly glued in cheek.

      1. Full Name: Jane Elizabeth Armstrong
      2. Nick Names: Old Slapper
      3. Date and place of birth: Queen Charlotte's Hospital, Hammersmith,
      London, England, 13/01/57
      4. Where Do You Live Now? Bracknell, Royal County of Berkshire, England -
      home of roundabouts, computer companies and South Hill Park Arts Centre -
      where Otway has performed in the Cellar bar - and where he will be returning
      in November.
      5. Significant Others? Hubby Eddie - mad as a hatter on email - quiet as a
      mouse in person - and two sons - Alex (6) and Nicky(5)
      6. What Do You Look Like: The back end of a bus
      7. Favourite TV Show: Anything Star Trekky - or Coronation Street,
      Brookside or Eastenders - or some of the better US comedy shows.
      8. Favourite Movie(s): Brief Encounter, Gone With The Wind, West Side
      Story - or anything by Rogers and Hammerstein (I'm a sentimental old fool)
      9. School: Can't remember - but I do seem to spend an extraordinary amount
      of time at my kids' school, Harmans Water Primary School
      10. Favourite Candy: Fudge or butterscotch
      11. Hobbies: Am Dram, collecting Del Amitri CD's, going to gigs and staring
      at the PC
      12. Do you play a musical instrument?: Piano accordion - atrociously
      13. Favourite Body Part of the Opposite Sex: Forearms and fingers
      14. Any Tattoos and Where and of What? Only temporary ones
      15. Piercing(s) And Where?: one in each earlobe
      16. What Do You Sleep In?: Whatever I fall into
      17. Best Advice: There's good in everyone - you just have to look harder
      with some people than with others.
      18. Where Do You Shop? On-line
      19. Coke or Pepsi?: Virgin Cola or Sainsbury's Classic
      20. Favourite Thing To Wear? My birthday suit (but it needs ironing)
      21. Favourite People To Talk To Online: My friends and people who make me
      laugh - oh, and my hubby!!!
      22. Do You Smoke?: Nothing legal
      23. Favourite Vacation Spot: Amsterdam
      24. If You Had The Chance To Professionally Do Something, What Would It Be:
      An astronaut - I am called Armstrong afterall - or Iain Harvie from Del
      Amitri's wardrobe mistress
      25. What Toppings Do You Like On Your Pizza? Anything meaty and spicy
      26. Favourite Flower: Sunflowers - but beware of the flowers, cos I'm sure
      they're going to get you....yeah!
      27. If You Could Change One Thing About Yourself What Would It be? You want
      me to name just ONE thing??? Maybe I'd like to be a bit more patient with
      other people
      28. Favourite Drink: Irn Bru and milk - but not in the same glass
      29. Favourite Book(s): Anything by Terry Pratchett or Anne McCaffrey
      30. What magazine(s) do you subscribe to?: The Reader's Digest and Practical
      Aromatherapy
      31. How much money do you normally have in your wallet? Like the Queen, I
      don't carry cash.
      32. Favourite number: 13 or 42 - the ultimate answer to the meaning of Life,
      The Universe and Everything.
      33. Favourite Type of Food: Anything except carrots and bananas.
      34. Best Attribute(s): A wicked sense of humour (but Eddie would say my
      chest)
      35. Briefs or Boxers: Boxer briefs on men. But personally I wear those old
      granny knickers which come up under your armpits and completely cover your
      bum, and always look grey after a few washes.
      36. Has John Otway changed your life?: Definitely - I've never recovered my
      sanity after seeing him for the first time in 1976
      37. What do you "collect"? Apart from Del Amitri stuff - dragons and very
      large
      credit card debts.
      38. Favourite Otway song: Middle of Winter - with the immortal lines
      "There's a man's washing on your line, now where the hell did that come
      from?" Who but Otway could have written that?
      39. How I first learned of John Otway... Read something in Melody Maker in
      1976 - went to see him and Wild Willy and was hooked. Can't get to see him
      as often as I like - but I'm pretty sure I've seen him at least once a year
      ever since - usually more than once.

      Right - now I've embarrassed myself and everyone on the list, I'm off to
      lurk for a while.....

      Jane
      ICQ # 34643730
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 1999
        Hi,

        I've been kept quiet up to now just reading all the inane emails that flood
        through my pc, however I only find the unsubscribe ones truly annoying!

        Two lists would be pointless surely? Someone would have to "police" the list
        to ensure no waffle appeared on the non-waffle one and I've never known
        anything to do with Otway need policing or exclude waffle so why start now?
        And as has been said, let those who don't want/enjoy pointless meanderings by
        the rest of us leave and get their info off the other sites - I doubt they'll
        stop going to gigs and they have every right to choose whether they join us
        or not without comment. It seems to me that all our few departees have done
        is start a strand of semi-serious discussion and historically this has not
        been a forum of serious discussion of any form - is this a trend to be
        stamped out now, before it takes hold? Should we start a new survey: should
        we allow serious comment in this list? Do we need another one to allow for
        such people? or do we take the view that serious people don't watch/listen to
        Otway and therfore must be infiltrators trying to upset the warm, cuddly
        experience we enjoy here?

        Thanks, I feel better now. I suggest that answers to any of the Q's above be
        sent on the back of used tenners to Nic and Sally for the Theraminaminamin,
        mine will be.

        Love,
        Ken.
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 1999
          On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 04:22:42 EDT, you sent through the ether:

          >Two lists would be pointless surely? Someone would have to "police" the list
          >to ensure no waffle appeared on the non-waffle one

          Hi Ken,

          I don`t think we have enough traffic to do that yet, there are about 100
          people on the Otway list and of those about 20 post messages and of
          those only about 10 post regularly..

          Rest assured when we go over the 100 messages a day barrier I`ll
          restructure! :)

          -Steve
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 1999
            On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:55:36 +0100, you sent through the ether:

            >Well I only joined the list yesterday -........

            See now THATS how to join a mailing list. Go Jane!

            -S.