Re: New Survey
- Well I only joined the list yesterday - so Ken's is the only mail I've read
so far - but I can't imagine any discussion to do with the great John Otway
being SERIOUS! I sincerely hope not. I joined this list for mindless
drivel - and if I don't get it I shall unsubscribe!
A bit about myself if anyone is at all remotely interested.... I had to
fill in a "Meet and Greet" form for another list a couple of days ago - so
here it is - slightly modified but with tongue firmly glued in cheek.
1. Full Name: Jane Elizabeth Armstrong
2. Nick Names: Old Slapper
3. Date and place of birth: Queen Charlotte's Hospital, Hammersmith,
London, England, 13/01/57
4. Where Do You Live Now? Bracknell, Royal County of Berkshire, England -
home of roundabouts, computer companies and South Hill Park Arts Centre -
where Otway has performed in the Cellar bar - and where he will be returning
5. Significant Others? Hubby Eddie - mad as a hatter on email - quiet as a
mouse in person - and two sons - Alex (6) and Nicky(5)
6. What Do You Look Like: The back end of a bus
7. Favourite TV Show: Anything Star Trekky - or Coronation Street,
Brookside or Eastenders - or some of the better US comedy shows.
8. Favourite Movie(s): Brief Encounter, Gone With The Wind, West Side
Story - or anything by Rogers and Hammerstein (I'm a sentimental old fool)
9. School: Can't remember - but I do seem to spend an extraordinary amount
of time at my kids' school, Harmans Water Primary School
10. Favourite Candy: Fudge or butterscotch
11. Hobbies: Am Dram, collecting Del Amitri CD's, going to gigs and staring
at the PC
12. Do you play a musical instrument?: Piano accordion - atrociously
13. Favourite Body Part of the Opposite Sex: Forearms and fingers
14. Any Tattoos and Where and of What? Only temporary ones
15. Piercing(s) And Where?: one in each earlobe
16. What Do You Sleep In?: Whatever I fall into
17. Best Advice: There's good in everyone - you just have to look harder
with some people than with others.
18. Where Do You Shop? On-line
19. Coke or Pepsi?: Virgin Cola or Sainsbury's Classic
20. Favourite Thing To Wear? My birthday suit (but it needs ironing)
21. Favourite People To Talk To Online: My friends and people who make me
laugh - oh, and my hubby!!!
22. Do You Smoke?: Nothing legal
23. Favourite Vacation Spot: Amsterdam
24. If You Had The Chance To Professionally Do Something, What Would It Be:
An astronaut - I am called Armstrong afterall - or Iain Harvie from Del
Amitri's wardrobe mistress
25. What Toppings Do You Like On Your Pizza? Anything meaty and spicy
26. Favourite Flower: Sunflowers - but beware of the flowers, cos I'm sure
they're going to get you....yeah!
27. If You Could Change One Thing About Yourself What Would It be? You want
me to name just ONE thing??? Maybe I'd like to be a bit more patient with
28. Favourite Drink: Irn Bru and milk - but not in the same glass
29. Favourite Book(s): Anything by Terry Pratchett or Anne McCaffrey
30. What magazine(s) do you subscribe to?: The Reader's Digest and Practical
31. How much money do you normally have in your wallet? Like the Queen, I
don't carry cash.
32. Favourite number: 13 or 42 - the ultimate answer to the meaning of Life,
The Universe and Everything.
33. Favourite Type of Food: Anything except carrots and bananas.
34. Best Attribute(s): A wicked sense of humour (but Eddie would say my
35. Briefs or Boxers: Boxer briefs on men. But personally I wear those old
granny knickers which come up under your armpits and completely cover your
bum, and always look grey after a few washes.
36. Has John Otway changed your life?: Definitely - I've never recovered my
sanity after seeing him for the first time in 1976
37. What do you "collect"? Apart from Del Amitri stuff - dragons and very
credit card debts.
38. Favourite Otway song: Middle of Winter - with the immortal lines
"There's a man's washing on your line, now where the hell did that come
from?" Who but Otway could have written that?
39. How I first learned of John Otway... Read something in Melody Maker in
1976 - went to see him and Wild Willy and was hooked. Can't get to see him
as often as I like - but I'm pretty sure I've seen him at least once a year
ever since - usually more than once.
Right - now I've embarrassed myself and everyone on the list, I'm off to
lurk for a while.....
Join us for our weekly chat - 10pm BST Thursdays on
Come and peruse my home page: http://www.tgis.co.uk/home/janea
Del Amitri Pages: http://www.tgis.co.uk/home/janea/Delpage.html
Join The Devlins Mailing List: http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/TheDevlins
ICQ # 34643730
I've been kept quiet up to now just reading all the inane emails that flood
through my pc, however I only find the unsubscribe ones truly annoying!
Two lists would be pointless surely? Someone would have to "police" the list
to ensure no waffle appeared on the non-waffle one and I've never known
anything to do with Otway need policing or exclude waffle so why start now?
And as has been said, let those who don't want/enjoy pointless meanderings by
the rest of us leave and get their info off the other sites - I doubt they'll
stop going to gigs and they have every right to choose whether they join us
or not without comment. It seems to me that all our few departees have done
is start a strand of semi-serious discussion and historically this has not
been a forum of serious discussion of any form - is this a trend to be
stamped out now, before it takes hold? Should we start a new survey: should
we allow serious comment in this list? Do we need another one to allow for
such people? or do we take the view that serious people don't watch/listen to
Otway and therfore must be infiltrators trying to upset the warm, cuddly
experience we enjoy here?
Thanks, I feel better now. I suggest that answers to any of the Q's above be
sent on the back of used tenners to Nic and Sally for the Theraminaminamin,
mine will be.
- On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 04:22:42 EDT, you sent through the ether:
>Two lists would be pointless surely? Someone would have to "police" the listHi Ken,
>to ensure no waffle appeared on the non-waffle one
I don`t think we have enough traffic to do that yet, there are about 100
people on the Otway list and of those about 20 post messages and of
those only about 10 post regularly..
Rest assured when we go over the 100 messages a day barrier I`ll