RE: [Otway] The Sweeney

  • Jane Armstrong
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2004
      Yes, Seymour runs one at www.the-sweeney.com though it appears to be down at
      the moment. Also, I run a Yahoogroup for The Sweeney like this one which
      you can join either by clicking on the link at
      http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheSweeney/ or sending a blank email to
      TheSweeney-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. (It's better to go to the site to join
      up though so that you can use your Yahoo ID and then be able to look at any
      photos etc.)

      Cheers
      Jane

    • seymour
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2004
        Sweeney site is at www.the-sweeney.com but I've just paid for another year
        for the domain and they seemed to have pulled it at the mo. Should be back
        up tomorrow.

        If you go to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/seymour/sweeney.html you'll get
        the site, still a bit out of date. Trying to get content from Murray at the
        moment is a bit difficult, 'cos he keeps having babies.

        Seymour

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2004
          The next Sweeney gig will be at the Riga Music Bar on Saturday 6th
          November when they will be supporting Swindle.
          Full details on http://www.rigamusicbar.co.uk

          Dave
        • Activities Abroad - Alistair McLean
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 12, 2004
            Okay, read this and cry with laughter....just funny funny funny.

            The setting is the eve of the Battle of Trafalgar...

            "Order the signal, Hardy."

            "Aye, aye sir."

            "Hold on, that's not what I dictated to the signal officer. What's the
            meaning of this?"

            "Sorry sir?"

            "England expects every person to do his duty, regardless of race,
            gender, sexual orientation, religious persuasion or disability. What
            gobbledygook is this?"

            "Admiralty policy, I'm afraid, sir. We're an equal opportunities
            employer now. We had the devil's own job getting 'England' past the
            censors, lest it be considered racist."

            "Gadzooks, Hardy. Hand me my pipe and tobacco."

            "Sorry sir. All naval vessels have been designated smoke-free working
            environments."

            "In that case, break open the rum ration. Let us splice the mainbrace
            to steel the men before battle."

            "The rum ration has been abolished, Admiral. Its part of the
            Government's policy on binge drinking."

            "Good heavens, Hardy. I suppose we'd better get on with it. Full speed
            ahead."

            "I think you'll find that there's a 4 knot speed limit in this stretch
            of water."

            "Damn it man! We are on the eve of the greatest sea battle in history.
            We must advance with all dispatch. Report from the crow's nest,
            please."

            "That won't be possible, sir."

            "What?"

            "Health and safety have closed the crow's nest, sir. No harness. And
            they said that rope ladder doesn't meet regulations. They won't let
            anyone up there until a proper scaffolding can be erected."

            "Then get me the ship's carpenter without delay, Hardy."

            "He's busy knocking up a wheelchair access to the fo'c'sle Admiral."

            "Wheelchair access? I've never heard anything so absurd."

            "Health and safety again, sir. We have to provide a barrier-free
            environment for the differently abled."

            "Differently abled? I've only one arm and one eye and I refuse even to
            hear mention of the word. I didn't rise to the rank of admiral by
            playing the disability card."

            "Actually, sir, you did. The Royal Navy is under-represented in the
            areas of visual impairment and limb deficiency."

            "Whatever next? Give me full sail. The salt spray beckons."

            "A couple of problems there too, sir. Health and safety won't let the
            crew up the rigging without crash helmets. And they don't want anyone
            breathing in too much salt - haven't you seen the adverts?"

            I've never heard such infamy. Break out the cannon and tell the men to
            stand by to engage the enemy."

            "The men are a bit worried about shooting at anyone, Admiral."

            "What? This is mutiny."

            "It's not that, sir. It's just that they're afraid of being charged
            with murder if they actually kill anyone. There's a couple of legal
            aid lawyers on board, watching everyone like hawks."

            "Then how are we to sink the Frenchies and the Spanish?"

            "Actually, sir, we're not."

            "We're not?"

            "No, sir. The Frenchies and the Spanish are our European partners now.
            According to the Common Fisheries Policy, we shouldn't even be in this
            stretch of water. We could get hit with a claim for compensation."

            "But you must hate a Frenchman as you hate the devil."

            "I wouldn't let the ship's diversity co-coordinator hear you saying
            that sir. You'll be up on disciplinary."

            "You must consider every man an enemy who speaks ill of your King."

            "Not any more, sir. We must be inclusive in this multicultural age.
            Now put on your Kevlar vest; it's the rules."

            "Don't tell me - health and safety Whatever happened to rum, sodomy
            and the lash?"

            As I explained, sir, rum is off the menu. And there's a ban on
            corporal punishment."

            "What about sodomy?"

            "I believe it's to be encouraged, sir"

            "In that case, kiss me, Hardy."
          • Billy.
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 24, 2005
              Really enjoyed The Sweeney gig at The Riga Thursday night.
              The lads really put on an energetic show, whatever the size of the
              audience. Why dont more people get out and see this band - they must
              be the best kept secret on the live circuit, because I've never seen
              an 'average' gig from these guys.
              Myself, Catherine, Ed, Bev and Hamster Dave had a fantastic night

              Only slight dissapiontment is that they didn't do 'Billy the human
              bomb' because of what happened earlier that day in London.
              Come on fellas...dont let a few nutters change your set.
              I saw 'The Jamm' on Saturday night at The Riga and they didnt refuse
              to do 'Down in the tube station at midnight' 'Going underground' or 'A
              Bomb in Wardour (Warren) street' !!!

              Have a butchers at my stance on whats happening in London here:-
              http://billy.g.freeservers.com/photo2.html (with apologies to
              http://werenotafraid.com for ripping them off !!)
            • Bev Chester
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 27, 2005
                Hi Billy
                As always, can only concur - Sweeney were tip bloody top
                All best
                Bev
[...]

                http://www.johnotway.com/ For current Otway live dates.

                New country music artists New music artists Unsigned music artist

              • Eddie Hall
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1 11:58 PM
                  Don't forget that this mighty fine combo are due at CLUB RIGA,
                  Southend-on-Sea this cold and frosty evening. Something hot and stirring to
                  warm you up, methinks.

                  Regards,

                  Ed.
                  www.annanded.co.uk <http://www.annanded.co.uk/>