Monmouth Festival

  • mapnala@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
      We weren't sure that we could make it to the Monmouth Festival, but were
      really glad we did!
      Otway was absolutely brilliant! There were lots of people in the crowd who
      hadn't seen him before and it was interesting listening to the reaction! One
      young lad said he had never heard of him before, but at the end of the first set,
      he bought two t-shirts and a CD!
      Richard played his guitar wonderfully, despite having a very sore, septic
      finger. I heard a bloke in the pub afterwards, saying what a good guitarist he
      is! 'Good' doesn't come anywhere near describing him!!!
      The weather couldn't have been better and a lot of drinking had been going on
      throughout the afternoon and evening, but there was no trouble at all and
      even the many children present were well behaved and thoroughly enjoyed
      themselves!
      The organisers had put crowd control barriers up, which was a bit of a shame,
      as it meant that after the gig, the fans were having to pass things through
      the bars to Otway and Richard for them to sign and pass back! Not something we
      are used to at Otway gigs!
      As it is only 165 miles to Monmouth, we were home by 2.30 a.m. so an early
      night for us! It was still a struggle to wake up when the alarm clock went off
      at 7.00a.m. though!
      It was an amazing evening and yet again an enormous thank you to John and
      Richard and of course, Jon the Roadie!
      :-)
      Pam

    • Eddie Hall
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
        A few of us went 'local' to The Square in Harlow to see the Sweeney. Have to
        say these youngsters were on top form (thanks for the pre-gig beers, boys), all
        with matching shaven heads, and Murray's solo rendering of 'What You Say Is What
        You Are' at the end was incredibly moving. I still had watery eyes when I spoke
        to him about it afterwards.

        Support band, Swindle, were also excellent, doing covers of Pistols, Stranglers,
        & so on.

        Familiar Faces: Pam (whose party it was), Duncan & sister Deborah, Jane, Eddie.
        Xav & Lorraine also turned up later, as did Seymour.

        Regards,

        Ed.