Re: Feathers Will Fly (SNOT)

  • cockney_bill
    Message 1 of 30 , May 1, 2002
      Notions? It's hardly just a notion mate.
      Far rather the glorious victor than the bleating (excuse the pun)
      victim.

      --- In Otway@y..., Shadowblade <illandrs@p...> wrote:
      > In message <000801c1f086$45b8afe0$b74486d9@time>
      > [Otway] Re: Feathers Will Fly (SNOT)
      > Tue, 30 Apr 2002, 21:33:21
      > William the conqueror <bronco.billy@t...> writes
      >

      > >>But when you think of English Pride of Nation, what can you look
      to?
      The fact that you beat everyone else and had the biggest empire the
      world has ever seen?

      That'll do for me mate.

      Good. Now you are getting somewhere.
      But you can see how it's a short step towards less desirable notions
      of supremacy of race?

      --------
      > You will never find The Truth
      > If you Seek forever in the same place
      > ; ;
      > , ; {} ; ,
      > ; ',00,' ;
      > `';;XX;;'`
      > ,' ;XX; ',
      > ; ,' "" ', ;
      > ; ;
    • Activities Abroad - Alistair McLean
      Message 2 of 30 , May 1, 2002
        Would the bleating victim include Sir Alex

        Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

        Ali (Proud to consider himself German last night)

        Notions? It's hardly just a notion mate.
        Far rather the glorious victor than the bleating (excuse the pun)
        victim.

        --- In Otway@y..., Shadowblade <illandrs@p...> wrote:
        > In message <000801c1f086$45b8afe0$b74486d9@time>
        > [Otway] Re: Feathers Will Fly (SNOT)
        > Tue, 30 Apr 2002, 21:33:21
        > William the conqueror <bronco.billy@t...> writes
        >

        > >>But when you think of English Pride of Nation, what can you look
        to?
        The fact that you beat everyone else and had the biggest empire the
        world has ever seen?

        That'll do for me mate.

        Good. Now you are getting somewhere.
        But you can see how it's a short step towards less desirable notions
        of supremacy of race?

        --------
        > You will never find The Truth
        > If you Seek forever in the same place
        > ; ;
        > , ; {} ; ,
        > ; ',00,' ;
        > `';;XX;;'`
        > ,' ;XX; ',
        > ; ,' "" ', ;
        > ; ;

      • cockney_bill
        Message 3 of 30 , May 1, 2002
          Remember that German shirt I had on at Ingmire?
          I actually bought it for the European cup final 2 years ago because
          my mate (a cockney) is a huge Man Utd fan.
          Well on that occasion I looked a bit of a muppet - but these last two
          years I have worn the same shirt whilst watching Man Utd play German
          opposition with my mate*...and been one smug bloke!

          Billy

          *I meant I watched the match with my mate - Man Utd didn't play
          German opposition WITH my mate.

          --- In Otway@y..., "Activities Abroad - Alistair McLean" <ali@A...>

          Message 4 of 30 , May 1, 2002
            Can you wear it next time Newcastle play the smug Manc prima donnas?

            "Bayer were lucky"

            So typical of the red nosed wan*ker. Not at Old Trafford they weren't where
            they were desperately unlucky not to come away with a well deserved victory.

            I think that what I really really hate (and I mean hate) about Man U is that
            they are such ungracious losers. It's no surprise therefore that so many
            people take delight in their all too infrequent downfalls.

            Ali (well chuffed)

            wrote:
            > Would the bleating victim include Sir Alex
            >
            > Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
            >
            > Ali (Proud to consider himself German last night)

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 30 , May 1, 2002
              Surely the Norman Invasion from France,.Roman invasion and Viking invasions
              came before Waterloo or Agincourt or the empire !! I think us
              Franco/Roman/Norsemen of England have nothing to be ashamed of !!!

              Steve
              > >>But when you think of English Pride of Nation, what can you look to?
              > >>The fact that you beat everyone else and had the biggest empire the
              > >>world has ever seen?
              >
              > >That'll do for me mate.
              >

              > Good. Now you are getting somewhere.
              >
              > But you can see how it's a short step towards less desirable notions of
              > supremacy of race?

              > You will never find The Truth
              > If you Seek forever in the same place
              > ; ;
              > , ; {} ; ,
              > ; ',00,' ;
              > `';;XX;;'`
              > ,' ;XX; ',
              > ; ,' "" ', ;
              > ; ;

              ---
            • strumpet12
              Message 6 of 30 , May 1, 2002
                wrote:
                It's no surprise therefore that so
                many
                > people take delight in their all too infrequent downfalls.
                >
                > Ali (well chuffed)

                ......If you think last night was fun...just wait until Arsenal
                take the title at Old Trafford next week:))

                Will the Man.U. fans stay to applaud them at the end?? I think not.

                Martyn.
              • Activities Abroad - Alistair McLean
                Message 7 of 30 , May 1, 2002
                  Oh I'm sure they will, after all, the Man Utd fans do have to travel back to
                  their London homes with the Arsenal fans.

                  Message 8 of 30 , May 1, 2002
                    wrote:
                    > Oh I'm sure they will, after all, the Man Utd fans do have to travel
                    back to
                    > their London homes with the Arsenal fans.

                    Good Point!!!
                  • bogart
                    Message 9 of 30 , May 1, 2002
                      > Will the Man.U. fans stay to applaud them at the end?? I think not.
                      Martyn.<

                      As we did against Bayer in the S/F 1st leg which was recognised and
                      praised by the UEFA delegates, of course if we do, the Arse wouldn't
                      'see the incident' anyway.

                      And Bayer deserved to go though and I hope they win the thing.

                      Bogart
                    • Jane Armstrong
                      Message 10 of 30 , May 1, 2002
                        I've only ever been to two football matches in my life - the second being Spartac Moscow (or something like that - 'scuse the ignorance) playing against Bayer Leverkusen. Leverkusen is our twin town, and I was over there for a Youth Exchange, and one of the other youth leaders got talking to a man in a pub who got us all tickets in the Leverkusen supporters' stand. So I suppose I had to support them rather than Man U - I have more connection with them than with Manchester.

                        Sorry Bogart...

                        Cheers
                        Jane
                        (I'm also one eighth German)
                        > Ali (Proud to consider himself German last night)

                      • Eddie Hall
                        Message 11 of 30 , May 1, 2002
                          --- Jane Armstrong <janea@...> wrote: >
                          I've only ever been to two football matches in my
                          > life - > Jane
                          > (I'm also one eighth German)

                          > removed]

                          Only 1/8? I can manage 1/2! But I still had a smug
                          smile on my face at breakfast in Dresden the morning
                          after the 1 - 5 match.

                          =====
                          Regards,

                          Ed.

                          http://uk.my.yahoo.com
                        • Shadowblade
                          Message 12 of 30 , May 1, 2002
                            In message <01a901c1f0ec$f143b920$722687d9@steve>,
                            Title: [Otway] Re: Feathers Will Fly (SNOT)
                            From: Steve <jinx01@...>
                            Date: Wed, 1 May 2002
                            Time: 09:48:17
                            Steve spake thus

                            >Surely the Norman Invasion from France,.Roman invasion and Viking invasions
                            >came before Waterloo or Agincourt or the empire !!

                            Er... yes. That's how history works. Some things come before others.
                            Take a tablet and lie down before seeking your next revelation.

                            But there was a huge Empire under Cnut, including Norway, Denmark and
                            parts of modern Sweden as well as the Danelaw and the western Saxon
                            kingdoms. There was another under Henry II including Anjou, Poitou,
                            Aquitaine, Normandy etc. Which one are you talking about?

                            > I think us
                            >Franco/Roman/Norsemen of England have nothing to be ashamed of !!!

                            Good for you. Not even Samritsa? Or Finsbury Park synagogue? Or the Boor
                            concentration camps?

                            By the way, the Norman invasion came from Normandy, not France. It's
                            that regional thing again, where political entities of today just didn't
                            exist in the past. Just as the notion of "Englishness" is nebulous due
                            to the seven Kingdoms of the heptarchy. No sooner had Anglo-Saxon
                            "England" come into being that it was overrun. Twice.

                            Richard and Judy were asking why they can't celebrate English culture
                            without being considered racist. They then struggled and spluttered when
                            asked what English culture was. All they could burble was something
                            about fair play and Dunquerque spirit. The culture is in the regions,
                            not in the whole.

                            Message 13 of 30 , May 1, 2002
                              In message <aao4an+ke2c@...>,
                              Title: [Otway] Re: Feathers Will Fly (SNOT)
                              From: cockney_bill <bronco.billy@...>
                              Date: Wed, 1 May 2002
                              Time: 07:09:11
                              cockney_bill spake thus

                              >Notions? It's hardly just a notion mate.
                              >Far rather the glorious victor than the bleating (excuse the pun)
                              >victim.

                              BAH!

                              When All is One and One is All
                              To be a Rock. And not to Roll
                              ; ;
                              , ; {} ; ,
                              ; ',00,' ;
                              `';;XX;;'`
                              ,' ;XX; ',
                              ; ,' "" ', ;
                              ; ;

                              Eland'rhi-el
                            • Steve
                              Message 14 of 30 , May 1, 2002
                                All I was seeking to say was no revalation just that any 'little Englander '
                                and any knocker of 'little Englanders' aught to know that nowadays there is
                                no such thing as a pure 'all conquering' 'Scot beating' Welsh annihalating'
                                (sp? Im pissed??) World beating pure bred Englishman ....We are all just a
                                bunch Heinz 57's or thereabouts !!

                                So thanks for the OBVIOUS history lesson Shads!!

                                Steve Mac Le Erikksson Jones

                                > Title: [Otway] Re: Feathers Will Fly (SNOT)
                                > From: Steve <jinx01@...>
                                > Date: Wed, 1 May 2002
                                > Time: 09:48:17
                                > Steve spake thus
                                >

                                > >Surely the Norman Invasion from France,.Roman invasion and Viking
                                invasions
                                > >came before Waterloo or Agincourt or the empire !!
                                >
                                > Er... yes. That's how history works. Some things come before others.
                                > Take a tablet and lie down before seeking your next revelation.
                                >
                                > But there was a huge Empire under Cnut, including Norway, Denmark and
                                > parts of modern Sweden as well as the Danelaw and the western Saxon
                                > kingdoms. There was another under Henry II including Anjou, Poitou,
                                > Aquitaine, Normandy etc. Which one are you talking about?
                                >

                                > > I think us
                                > >Franco/Roman/Norsemen of England have nothing to be ashamed of !!!
                                >
                                > Good for you. Not even Samritsa? Or Finsbury Park synagogue? Or the Boor
                                > concentration camps?
                                >

                                > By the way, the Norman invasion came from Normandy, not France. It's
                                > that regional thing again, where political entities of today just didn't
                                > exist in the past. Just as the notion of "Englishness" is nebulous due
                                > to the seven Kingdoms of the heptarchy. No sooner had Anglo-Saxon
                                > "England" come into being that it was overrun. Twice.
                                >
                                > Richard and Judy were asking why they can't celebrate English culture
                                > without being considered racist. They then struggled and spluttered when
                                > asked what English culture was. All they could burble was something
                                > about fair play and Dunquerque spirit. The culture is in the regions,
                                > not in the whole.

                                > You will never find The Truth
                                > If you Seek forever in the same place
                                > ; ;
                                > , ; {} ; ,
                                > ; ',00,' ;
                                > `';;XX;;'`
                                > ,' ;XX; ',
                                > ; ,' "" ', ;
                                > ; ;

                                ---
                              • bogart
                                Message 15 of 30 , May 1, 2002
                                  Illi uttered

                                  > By the way, the Norman invasion came from Normandy, not France. It's
                                  that regional thing again, where political entities of today just
                                  didn't
                                  exist in the past.<

                                  So you will admit your 'Welshness' is just a 'regional thing '
                                  basically just a peg upon which to hang your hat and berate all the
                                  other 'regional thing's'.

                                  > Richard and Judy were asking why they can't celebrate English
                                  culture
                                  without being considered racist. They then struggled and spluttered
                                  when
                                  asked what English culture was.<

                                  Using R & J as an example is pretty desperate but please enlighten us
                                  by saying how to celebrate Wleshness or for that matter any culture
                                  without being 'racist'.

                                  Bogart
                                  'But the grown man
                                  shudders and is silent, the man who has wandered pathless at night
                                  in the mountain-range of his feelings:
                                  is silent'

                                  Sponsor ---------------------~-->
                                  > Buy Stock for $4
                                  > and no minimums.
                                  > FREE Money 2002.
                                  > http://us.click.yahoo.com/orkH0C/n97DAA/ySSFAA/kxUplB/TM
                                  -~->

                                • cockney_bill
                                  Message 16 of 30 , May 2, 2002
                                    It's not like I don't understand where your coming from Taffy.

                                    It's like Football really. I was born in the West Ham area and am a
                                    huge West Ham fan. I am fiercly proud of that, and will shout my
                                    alliegience from the rooftops (and often get the opportunity as a
                                    roofing surveyor!!). I look at a big club like Man Utd and I will
                                    tell everyone how much I hate them and their arrogance in winning
                                    everything (well...almost!!)

                                    But if I stand back and look at it logically I have to reluctantly
                                    admit the following:-
                                    As proud as I am of them, West Ham on the whole are fairly poop
                                    (substitute West Ham for Wales) and as much as I hate them Man Utd
                                    are fantastically succesful with a great history and will always be
                                    better than us (substitute Man Utd for England)

                                    Billy
                                    --- In Otway@y..., Shadowblade <illandrs@p...> wrote:
                                    Bah Bah Bah
                                  • Shadowblade
                                    Message 17 of 30 , May 2, 2002
                                      In message <003501c1f16d$a2ed8950$141887d9@steve>,
                                      Title: [Otway] Re: Feathers Will Fly (SNOT)
                                      From: Steve <jinx01@...>
                                      Date: Thu, 2 May 2002
                                      Time: 01:09:31
                                      Steve spake thus

                                      >All I was seeking to say was no revalation just that any 'little Englander '
                                      >and any knocker of 'little Englanders' aught to know that nowadays there is
                                      >no such thing as a pure 'all conquering' 'Scot beating' Welsh annihalating'
                                      >(sp? Im pissed??) World beating pure bred Englishman ....We are all just a
                                      >bunch Heinz 57's or thereabouts !!

                                      That's what I said in my first post.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , May 2, 2002
                                        Musta read between the wrong lines...
                                        We cannot be held responsible for our ancestors and can only look to how we
                                        conduct ourselves now. If you start going back in history where the hell do
                                        you stop ..You cannot just cherry pick the bad stuff to use as a stick to
                                        beat whoever with. If you wanna use history you have to take it all all the
                                        way back to way back when.......whenever that is

                                        Oh this is getting boring !
                                        My Grandad was a half Welsh Cockney in the Scots Guards ! Now were they
                                        Scots or were they guarding the Scots ? Ah who gives one ???

                                        Steve

                                        > Title: [Otway] Re: Feathers Will Fly (SNOT)
                                        > From: Steve <jinx01@...>
                                        > Date: Thu, 2 May 2002
                                        > Time: 01:09:31
                                        > Steve spake thus
                                        >

                                        > >All I was seeking to say was no revalation just that any 'little
                                        Englander '
                                        > >and any knocker of 'little Englanders' aught to know that nowadays there
                                        is
                                        > >no such thing as a pure 'all conquering' 'Scot beating' Welsh
                                        annihalating'
                                        > >(sp? Im pissed??) World beating pure bred Englishman ....We are all just
                                        > >bunch Heinz 57's or thereabouts !!
                                        >
                                        > That's what I said in my first post.

                                        > You will never find The Truth
                                        > If you Seek forever in the same place
                                        > ; ;
                                        > , ; {} ; ,
                                        > ; ',00,' ;
                                        > `';;XX;;'`
                                        > ,' ;XX; ',
                                        > ; ,' "" ', ;
                                        > ; ;

                                        ---
                                      • Shadowblade
                                        Message 19 of 30 , May 2, 2002
                                          In message <aaqqbg+g61u@...>,
                                          Title: [Otway] Re: Feathers Will Fly (SNOT)
                                          From: cockney_bill <bronco.billy@...>
                                          Date: Thu, 2 May 2002
                                          Time: 07:37:20
                                          cockney_bill spake thus

                                          >It's not like I don't understand where your coming from Taffy.
                                          >
                                          >It's like Football really. I was born in the West Ham area and am a
                                          >huge West Ham fan.

                                          GOR BLIMEY! IT'S ALF GAAAAAR-NET, INIT!?

                                          > I am fiercly proud of that, and will shout my
                                          >alliegience from the rooftops

                                          >But if I stand back and look at it logically I have to reluctantly
                                          >admit the following:-
                                          >As proud as I am of them, West Ham on the whole are fairly poop
                                          >(substitute West Ham for Wales)

                                          Bloody cheek!

                                          But they were great once, weren't they? Weren't some of them in the 1966
                                          England team? Bobby Moore etc? There's a nobility in the pride of
                                          survival in the face of overwhelming odds and tracing a noble ancestral
                                          lineage.

                                          > and as much as I hate them Man Utd
                                          >are fantastically succesful with a great history and will always be
                                          >better than us (substitute Man Utd for England)

                                          Well, I don't slag them off and I don't hate them (you lot in this day
                                          and age, that is) but the only thing they were better at was murder,
                                          treachery, lies, rape and pillage. From the murder of Vortigern to Rob
                                          Roy and beyond.

                                          And as I say I was just saying why it was that the English don't
                                          celebrate their saint or can't without appearing racist. And, as Billy
                                          Bragg says, why there's no real notion of a sense of self, a common
                                          thread tying you all together. Personally, I think that's a good thing.

                                          Morning prayers, fagging, matron's stew and the crack of leather on
                                          willow. THAT is quintessentially English to some. Tower blocks, sniffing
                                          glue, The Clash and the roar of the crowd at the goal end. THAT is
                                          Englishness for others. Or is it tennis, strawberries and cream and warm
                                          beer? It's too diverse and there's no unifying sense of self.
                                          Scottishness, Welshness and Irishness are easier to define, although no
                                          less stereotypical.

                                          By the way who's this Bogart character? Is it my imagination or is he a
                                          bit of a wanker?

                                          "And the slightest confrontation was dissolved before the start
                                          Each man belonged to each, as one clear hand
                                          Asking only comfort creation be divided to the least
                                          Each man Open set sights to new lands...
                                          Word of Life rejoice the Sun light course the flower to open wide
                                          Open they ride climb into the Dark Sky..."

                                          ; ;
                                          ; {} ;
                                          ; ',00,' ;
                                          `';;XX;;'`
                                          ,' ;XX; ',
                                          ; ,' `` ', ;
                                          ; ;
                                        • cockney_bill
                                          Message 20 of 30 , May 2, 2002
                                            Very well said that man.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , May 2, 2002
                                              --- In Otway@y..., Shadowblade <illandrs@p...> wrote:

                                              "But they were great once, weren't they? Weren't some of them in the
                                              1966 England team? Bobby Moore etc?"

                                              Bobby Moore - Captain. Geoff Hurst - 3 goals, Martin Peters - the
                                              other goal - All from West Ham.

                                              "but the only thing they were better at was murder,treachery, lies,
                                              rape and pillage."

                                              Well if you're going to be the best at something, I can't think of
                                              too many better things than that list.

                                              "By the way who's this Bogart character? Is it my imagination or is
                                              he a bit of a wanker?"

                                              You got that totally wrong - and whatever your views, PLEASE mind
                                              your language on this list.

                                              Oh - St. George, and why he is celebrated in England -
                                              http://www.catholic-pages.com/dir/link.asp?ref=18331
                                            • Eddie Hall
                                              Message 22 of 30 , May 2, 2002
                                                --- Steve <jinx01@...> wrote: >

                                                > Oh this is getting boring !

                                                > Ah who gives one ???
                                                >
                                                > Steve

                                                That just about says it all.

                                                =====
                                                Regards,

                                                Ed.

                                                http://uk.my.yahoo.com
                                              • Shadowblade
                                                Message 23 of 30 , May 2, 2002
                                                  In message <aas336+c6io@...>,
                                                  Title: [Otway] Re: Feathers Will Fly (SNOT)
                                                  From: cockney_bill <bronco.billy@...>
                                                  Date: Thu, 2 May 2002
                                                  Time: 19:12:38
                                                  cockney_bill spake thus

                                                  >"But they were great once, weren't they?

                                                  >Bobby Moore - Captain. Geoff Hurst - 3 goals, Martin Peters - the
                                                  >other goal - All from West Ham.

                                                  Well there you go! Didn't Geoff Hurst play for Fulham as well?

                                                  >"By the way who's this Bogart character?

                                                  >You got that totally wrong - and whatever your views, PLEASE mind
                                                  >your language on this list.

                                                  Oh. He doesn't have much to say but when he does bother he seems to be
                                                  an aggressive, arrogant little number two.

                                                  >Oh - St. George, and why he is celebrated in England -
                                                  >http://www.catholic-pages.com/dir/link.asp?ref=18331

                                                  Cheers. I shall read this with relish.

                                                  "And according to the man who showed his outstreched arm to space
                                                  He turned around and pointed, revealing all the human race
                                                  I shook my head and smiled, a whisper, knowing all about the place..."
                                                  ; ;
                                                  ; {} ;
                                                  ; ;