Re: Terry Mathew's forecast for Ottawa is bleak

  • ottawahitech
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008
      So it took Matthews this long to figure out we had a big problem? His first warning came in 2007?

      For years tech industry execs (including Matthews) have been treating tech workers as disposable objects. Now they are writing reports
      (probably financed with our tax money) and analyzing "what went
      wrong". Sigh...

      ---
      http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080827/OTT_tech_bust_\
      080827/20080828/?hub=OttawaHome :
      Ottawa's tech billionaire and the man who has backed about 80 tech firms is warning that Canada's tech industry is taking a "nosedive." Terry Matthews says problems in Ottawa are a warning sign of a potential collapse.

      "It is very bad. And you know, I often think of life a little bit like a balance sheet," Matthews told CTV Ottawa. "And on balance, there are too many negative line items that are driving the industry down."

      Matthews has said this before, but he now feels that things are getting worse a lot faster than he expected. Matthews outlined some of the problems and also about 20 suggested solutions in a report produced in co-operation with the Canadian Advanced Technology Alliance, a technology lobby group.

      Read the full report here

      Matthews' first warning came in the spring of 2007...

      Matthews warning comes with a bleak forecast. "In 10 years time we'll
      say, 'There used to be a great industry here.'"
      ---

      --- In OttawaHiTech@yahoogroups.com, "jgillcell" <jgillcell@...> wrote:

      > Not what we would like to hear...
      >
      > Tech entrepreneur's forecast for Ottawa is bleak
      >
      > http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080827/OTT_tech_bust_080
      > 827/20080828/?hub=OttawaHome
      >
      > Ottawa's tech billionaire and the man who has backed about 80 tech
      > firms is warning that Canada's tech industry is taking a "nosedive."
      > Terry Matthews says problems in Ottawa are a warning sign of a
      > potential collapse.
      >
      > "It is very bad. And you know, I often think of life a little bit like
      > a balance sheet," Matthews told CTV Ottawa. "And on balance, there are
      > too many negative line items that are driving the industry down
      >
      > http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080827/OTT_tech_bust_080
      > 827/20080828/?hub=OttawaHome

    • chisholmjets2001
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2008
        It's ridiculous.

        Personally I warned the federal government and Ottawa high tech
        industry leaders about the true size of the problem as far back as
        April 18, 2002. In particular, the implications of the "Ottawa's
        Hidden Workforce" report of Fall 1998. And I have witnesses - one of
        whom is Adam Chowaniec, President and C.E.O. of Tundra Semiconductor
        Corporation. The occasion was the Public Forum at the Nepean
        Sportsplex in Ottawa, "How can the federal government help Ottawa's
        high tech industry?" It was organized by former federal M.P. and
        Minister of Natonal Defence David Pratt; the guest speaker was then-
        federal Minister for Industry Allan Rock.

        The Public Forum referred to has been discussed in this group before.
        Further, we got the Final Report on this Forum only after I drew
        attention to it in this group, in October 2003, and Josh Korn then
        got it from David Pratt's office - 19 months after the event. This
        happened after I myself had tried to find out many times when this
        Final Report was supposed to be released, plus I told Pratt's office
        that then-City of Ottawa Mayor Bob Chiarelli was interested, before
        even joining this group in October 2003.

        My warning was COMPLETELY ignored. So probably they thought it could
        be safely ignored, just because I happened to be on my own. The
        stupidity and incompetence behind this attitude was as obvious then
        as it is now.

        I'm going to bring this to the attention of the management of Vitesse
        Re-Skilling / OTI.

        In my view we have some work to do to wake government and everybody
        else up to the true dimensions of the problem. I think the main point
        here is to pick up on the CTV interview with Terry Matthews and draw
        some much-needed public attention to the issue of WHY government has
        not really been paying attention, ever since the trouble started in
        late 2000 / early 2001.

        Robert T. Chisholm

        --- In OttawaHiTech@yahoogroups.com, "ottawahitech"
        <ottawahitech@...> wrote:

        > So it took Matthews this long to figure out we had a big problem?
        His first warning came in 2007?

        > For years tech industry execs (including Matthews) have been
        treating tech workers as disposable objects. Now they are writing
        reports
        > (probably financed with our tax money) and analyzing "what went
        > wrong". Sigh...
        >
        > ---

        http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080827/OTT_tech_bust_\
        > 080827/20080828/?hub=OttawaHome :
        > Ottawa's tech billionaire and the man who has backed about 80 tech
        firms is warning that Canada's tech industry is taking a "nosedive."
        Terry Matthews says problems in Ottawa are a warning sign of a
        potential collapse.

        > "It is very bad. And you know, I often think of life a little bit
        like a balance sheet," Matthews told CTV Ottawa. "And on balance,
        there are too many negative line items that are driving the industry
        down."

        > Matthews has said this before, but he now feels that things are
        getting worse a lot faster than he expected. Matthews outlined some
        of the problems and also about 20 suggested solutions in a report
        produced in co-operation with the Canadian Advanced Technology
        Alliance, a technology lobby group.

        > Read the full report here
        >
        > Matthews' first warning came in the spring of 2007...
        >
        > Matthews warning comes with a bleak forecast. "In 10 years time
        we'll
        > say, 'There used to be a great industry here.'"
        > ---
        >
        > --- In OttawaHiTech@yahoogroups.com, "jgillcell" <jgillcell@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Not what we would like to hear...
        > >
        > > Tech entrepreneur's forecast for Ottawa is bleak

        http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080827/OTT_tech_bust_0
        80
        > > 827/20080828/?hub=OttawaHome
        > >
        > > Ottawa's tech billionaire and the man who has backed about 80 tech
        > > firms is warning that Canada's tech industry is taking
        a "nosedive."
        > > Terry Matthews says problems in Ottawa are a warning sign of a
        > > potential collapse.
        > >
        > > "It is very bad. And you know, I often think of life a little bit
        like
        > > a balance sheet," Matthews told CTV Ottawa. "And on balance,
        there are
        > > too many negative line items that are driving the industry down

        http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080827/OTT_tech_bust_0
        80
        > > 827/20080828/?hub=OttawaHome

      • jgillcell
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 24, 2008
          <ottawahitech@...> wrote:

          > So it took Matthews this long to figure out we had a big problem?
          His first warning came in 2007?

          Isn't 2007 about the time the Canadian dollar started its rapid
          ascent? Didn't the current government change their R&D tax credit
          rules and other programs in 2007?

          Terry has known about the problems in Ottawa's tech industry for a
          number of years now - along with other industry gurus. Some have been
          more vocal than others. However, the voices haven't been loud nor
          convincing enough. Even the people at "street level" have raised
          their voices and written to MPs and MPPs. Remember those "all
          candidates debates" at past Fed/Provincial elections when the issues
          have been raised and acknowledged? None of our politicians (of any
          flavour) have done anything about it and I don't expect ever will.

          I think the tech business gets lumped into the same category as the
          Arts (as per Stephen Harper's comments yesterday) - tuxedos, cocktail
          parties and rich actors. The technology industry doesn't resonate
          with the average Canadian, the tech business is full of rich tycoons
          (like Terry)that made a bundle during the tech boom and in general we
          are a bunch of people that when we do work, make good money.

          <ottawahitech@...> wrote:

          > So it took Matthews this long to figure out we had a big problem?
          His first warning came in 2007?

          > For years tech industry execs (including Matthews) have been
          treating tech workers as disposable objects. Now they are writing
          reports
          > (probably financed with our tax money) and analyzing "what went
          > wrong". Sigh...
          >
          > ---

          http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080827/OTT_tech_bust_\
          > 080827/20080828/?hub=OttawaHome :
          > Ottawa's tech billionaire and the man who has backed about 80 tech
          firms is warning that Canada's tech industry is taking a "nosedive."
          Terry Matthews says problems in Ottawa are a warning sign of a
          potential collapse.

          > "It is very bad. And you know, I often think of life a little bit
          like a balance sheet," Matthews told CTV Ottawa. "And on balance,
          there are too many negative line items that are driving the industry
          down."

          > Matthews has said this before, but he now feels that things are
          getting worse a lot faster than he expected. Matthews outlined some
          of the problems and also about 20 suggested solutions in a report
          produced in co-operation with the Canadian Advanced Technology
          Alliance, a technology lobby group.

          > Read the full report here
          >
          > Matthews' first warning came in the spring of 2007...
          >
          > Matthews warning comes with a bleak forecast. "In 10 years time
          we'll
          > say, 'There used to be a great industry here.'"
          > ---
          >
          > --- In OttawaHiTech@yahoogroups.com, "jgillcell" <jgillcell@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Not what we would like to hear...
          > >
          > > Tech entrepreneur's forecast for Ottawa is bleak

          http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080827/OTT_tech_bust_0
          80
          > > 827/20080828/?hub=OttawaHome
          > >
          > > Ottawa's tech billionaire and the man who has backed about 80 tech
          > > firms is warning that Canada's tech industry is taking
          a "nosedive."
          > > Terry Matthews says problems in Ottawa are a warning sign of a
          > > potential collapse.
          > >
          > > "It is very bad. And you know, I often think of life a little bit
          like
          > > a balance sheet," Matthews told CTV Ottawa. "And on balance,
          there are
          > > too many negative line items that are driving the industry down

          http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080827/OTT_tech_bust_0
          80
          > > 827/20080828/?hub=OttawaHome

        • Mr Randal Stevens