Anyone interested in cloud computing?

  • Christopher B
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2010
      There's an "unconference" on cloud computing at the Hampton Inn on
      Monday:

      http://www.cloudcamp.org/ottawa/2010-11-08
      <http://www.cloudcamp.org/ottawa/2010-11-08>

      It's free and there promises to be food and "networking".

    • ottawahitech
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2010
        Just a bit of gosip that may interest others who like me who do not really understand what cloud computing is all about.

        Apparently this concept is the creation of one person, Microsost Ozzie chief architect of something or other,
        http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/ozzie/
        who recently stepped down from his position at MS (looks like Ballmer is also preparing to bail - he has reportedly just dumped $1.3 billion worth of MS stock).

        Back to cloud computing: sounds like we are back to mainfame days. Am I completely off ? Please help educate me.

        --- In OttawaHiTech@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher B" <cdb@...> wrote:

        > There's an "unconference" on cloud computing at the Hampton Inn on
        > Monday:
        >
        > http://www.cloudcamp.org/ottawa/2010-11-08
        > <http://www.cloudcamp.org/ottawa/2010-11-08>
        >
        > It's free and there promises to be food and "networking".

      • jgillcell
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2010
          The concept was proposed years ago (wasn't it called the network PC???) but not embraced by the public/business. Looks like some people think the timing is right to try again.

          --- In OttawaHiTech@yahoogroups.com, "ottawahitech" <ottawahitech@...> wrote:

          > Just a bit of gosip that may interest others who like me who do not really understand what cloud computing is all about.
          >
          > Apparently this concept is the creation of one person, Microsost Ozzie chief architect of something or other,
          > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/ozzie/
          > who recently stepped down from his position at MS (looks like Ballmer is also preparing to bail - he has reportedly just dumped $1.3 billion worth of MS stock).
          >
          > Back to cloud computing: sounds like we are back to mainfame days. Am I completely off ? Please help educate me.
          >

          > --- In OttawaHiTech@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher B" <cdb@> wrote:
          > >
          > > There's an "unconference" on cloud computing at the Hampton Inn on
          > > Monday:
          > >
          > > http://www.cloudcamp.org/ottawa/2010-11-08
          > > <http://www.cloudcamp.org/ottawa/2010-11-08>
          > >
          > > It's free and there promises to be food and "networking".

        • Hugh
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 18, 2010
            --- In OttawaHiTech@yahoogroups.com, "jgillcell" <jgillcell@...> wrote:

            > The concept was proposed years ago (wasn't it called the network PC???) but not embraced by the public/business. Looks like some people think the timing is right to try again.

            Yes it is. Take for instance the company called Tradeshift ( http://www.tradeshift.com ) - a cloud-based network for electronic commerce that uses UBL, featuring zero-cost electronic invoicing for anyone (currently live in over 60 countries including the United States and Canada).

            The reason I think this is important is outlined in my IBM developerWorks paper at:
            http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/industry/library/ind-disrubl/index.html

            Tradeshift isn't "new" - it is now a 3rd generation implementation. The previous generations were the govt of Denmark, then the EU (Peppol project). Some of the key people that were responsible for these system formed Tradeshift and are now offering a more "generic" solution. Funding is provided by archangel funder Morten Lund - one of the backers behind Skype.

            I think if you watch you will see all universities in Canada make a move to cloud computing - moving the centres closer to the source of power in cooler climate.

            Cheers..Hugh
            CyberSpace Industries 2000 Inc.
            http://cyberspace-industries-2000.com
            http://goUBL.com