NB: FFT: Food for Thought

  • Nina Seco
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2005
      By abstaining from evil and by the practice of good deeds a person
      becomes holy. It is not as though he were sanctified simply by works,
      for no soul will be justified by the works of the law (Rom. 3:20; Gal.
      2:16), but rather that by practicing such actions he is brought into
      fellowship with the Holy God. I am sure that the Lord spoke this
      especially to those who had already received the grace of the Spirit in
      order to urge them not to presume on the gift and turn back to evil
      through apathy. It is as though He said, "Do not give yourself to
      idleness, O spiritual man who has received the grace of the Holy Spirit
      and thereby received Me. For idleness gives birth to wickedness, and
      wickedness engenders all kinds of evil. Therefore become holy by the
      daily practice of the commandments, if you wish that I shall be in you
      and with you, and that you should be in Me and with Me."

      St. Symeon the New Theologian, The Discourses.