Fwd: How The Ancients Understood What It Means To Be A Monk

  • rmichaelzacharyaz
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2003
      --- In OrthodoxMartyria@yahoogroups.com, R Michael Zachary
      <rmichaelzacharyaz@y...> wrote:
      http://www.innerlightproductions.com/thoughts/mar2998.htm

      How the Ancients Understood What It Meant to Be a MonkThis selection
      is from St. Macarius the Great, born about A.D. 300. A former camel
      driver, he spent most of his monastic life in Scetis where the
      Coptic Monastery of St. Macarius stands to this day with a very
      active community and monastic life.

      BEGIN: One day, Macarius the Egyptian went from Scetis to the
      mountain of Nitria for the offering of Abba Pambo. The old men said
      to him, "Father, say a word to the brethren." He said, "I have not
      yet become a monk myself, but I have seen monks. One day when I was
      sitting in my cell, my thoughts were troubling me, suggesting that I
      should go to the desert and see what I could see there. I remained
      for five years, fighting against this thought, saying, perhaps it
      comes from demons. But since the thought persisted, I left for the
      desert.

      "There I found a sheet of water and an island in the midst, and the
      animals of the desert came to drink there. In the midst of these
      animals I saw two naked men, and my body trembled, for I believed
      they were spirits. Seeing me shaking, they said to me, 'Do not be
      afraid, for we are men.' Then I said to them, 'Where do you come
      from, and how did you come to this desert?'

      "They said, 'We come from a monastery and having agreed to gather,
      we came here forty years ago. One of us is an Egyptian and the other
      a Libyan.' They questioned me and asked me, 'How is the world? Is
      the water rising in due time? Is the world enjoying prosperity?'

      "I replied it was, then I asked them, 'How can I become a monk?'
      They said to me, 'If you do not give up all that is in the world,
      you cannot become a monk.' I said to them, 'But I am weak, and I
      cannot do as you do.' So they said to me: 'If you cannot become like
      us, sit in your cell and weep for your sins.'

      "I asked them, 'When the winter comes are you not frozen?' And when
      the heat comes do not your bodies burn?' They said, 'It is God who
      has made this way of life for us. We do not freeze in winter, and
      the summer does us no harm.'

      "That is why I said that I have not yet become a monk, but I have
      seen monks." END

      from, "The Desert Christian," by Sr. Benedicta Ward, New York:
      MacMillan Publishing Co., 1975, pp. 125-126

      --- End forwarded message ---