Anglican Vicar Undergoes 'Gender Re-Assignment' Operation

  • Antonis Papadopoulos
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2000
      http://www.religionnews.com/news3.html

      Religion News Service, December 1, 2000

      English Vicar Undergoes 'Gender Re-Assignment' Operation

      (RNS) For the past four years the parishioners of St. Philip's Church in Upper
      Stratton, a suburb of Swindon, a railway town 80 miles west of London, have been
      ministered to by the Rev. Philip Stone. Next Sunday (Dec. 3) their services will
      be conducted by the Rev. Carol Stone.

      At the age of 46, their vicar has had a sex-change operation -- or "gender
      re-assignment," as the church's news release -- and is at last the woman she --
      or he -- always wanted to be.

      "I only have two vocations in my whole life," Stone told a news conference in
      Swindon on Tuesday (Nov. 28). "They are to be a priest and to be a woman. My
      last prayer at night was that I'd wake up a girl."

      Stone, twice divorced and with an 18-year-old daughter, has had the support of
      her family, her congregation and her bishop, the Rt. Rev. Barry Rogerson of
      Bristol, who said last June he could see no reason in church law why Stone
      should not continue as a priest in the Church of England after the sex-change
      operation.

      "I don't believe there's a moral issue here," he said. "This is a medical
      condition and can be dealt with medically, now."

      Stone acknowledged some people might find her change of sex unacceptable.

      "As a priest you always have to be prepared for people to come and go," she
      said. "There will obviously be those people who won't come with me, and they
      will be sorely missed, but there will always be a place for them at St.
      Philip's."

      Copyright © 2000 Religion News Serviceì.