Sukhumi-Abkhazian diocese seeks to join the Russian Church

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2008

      05 September 2008, 13:51
      The Sukhumi-Abkhazian diocese seeks to join the Russian Church

      Sukhumi, September 5, Interfax - The Abkhazian Church wants to be
      self-governed Church under the Moscow Patriarchate, administrator of
      the Sukhumi-Abkhazian Diocese Fr. Vissarion Aplia told journalists.

      Orthodox believers of Abkhazia asked the Moscow Patriarchate for it
      "more than once before, but the republic wasn't recognized and it was
      the main obstacle for settling the question," he noted.

      "We were in a very hard situation after Georgian-Abkhazian war of
      1992-93 and it was the Russian Orthodox Church that extended help to
      the Abkhazian Church, though we asked the whole Orthodox world for
      help," the diocesan head said.

      "Today when Russia recognized Abkhazia's independence, we intend to
      ask for settling this question again," Fr. Vissarion further said.

      The Russian Orthodox Church stated late in August that though Russia
      had politically recognized Abkhazia and South Ossetia, it didn't mean
      changes of canonical territories of the Moscow and Georgian Patriarchates.

      "The political decision has been taken and we must respect it because
      it is based on the unanimous opinion of MPs from both chambers of the
      Russian parliament," deputy head of the Moscow Patriarchate
      Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin
      told Interfax-Religion.

      However, the priest further said, "Political decisions don't define
      church jurisdictions and spheres of pastoral responsibility. These
      questions should be settled canonically in course of dialogue between
      the two (Russian and Georgian -IF) Churches."